Jason Jones, Technician
Experience:  10+ years work experience.
30759776

I have replaced my Canon 118 cartridge and it shows a error

Customer Question

I have replaced my Canon 118 cartridge and it shows a error that the tape or tab has not been removed. I thought a defective cartridge so I had it exchanged. now this new Canon 118 is also showing remove the tape or tab from cartridge. I had removed it as always. any suggestions?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 1 year ago.

I am the person that will be helping you today.

This may be a simple fix. The sensor responsible for recognizing whether or not the ink cartridge is ready may be faulting. The first thing I would suggest is to do a simple cleaning of the area where the cartridge is inserted. You can do so with a few q-tips that you first get a little damp before using. Just put a small drop of water on the q-tip before cleaning the area. After cleaning the area, wipe it with a dry towel or cloth to make sure no water remains. After that is complete, allow the printer to dry for at least 1 hour and test it once more.

I will be standing by.

Thank you,
Jason

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why would it recognize the generic and not the Canon?

That is a good question. The answer is that when you removed the generic cartridge, it may have pushed dust or ink onto the sensor. Do you still have the old cartridge? If you do have it, can you put it in and check if it gives the same error or not? This will tell us if the problem is with the printer or with the cartridges.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
with the old cartridge installed again it only shows that it needs to be replaced by showing notice Prepare Cyan Toner
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cleaned the contacts, and even turned off the machine and turned it back on. Still getting same error. What are the chances of getting 2 bad cartridges months apart. I had the 1st genuine cartridge a few months before trying to install it. The 2nd replacement was just off the shelf today. The old generic cartridge does not show the error to remove the tab/tape from the cartridge.

Thank you for checking that for me. This is sounding as though the printer is having issues. Just to be sure; please, check that you have followed the same instructions on the following page for replacing the cartridge: http://www.manualslib.com/manual/454364/Canon-Color-Imageclass-Mf8580cdw.html?page=88

If the tape or the drum is left on the cartridge, you may have such issues.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know you do not know my experience. I am not just a home user. I have worked in Offices for over 30 years. The instructions you sent are different than those on the cartridge. The first cartridge I did pull the tape out straight as your instructions show, the 2nd I followed the instructions on the cartridge which showed to pull it straight upward, so I did that. NEITHER worked. I am open for suggestions that I have not thought of. The generic does not show this error and works but does not have enough toner to print properly.

When you pulled the tab/tape out, does it appear that all the tape was pulled out, meaning that the tape didn't rip halfway out?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is correct the whole tape pulled out. no ragged edges, the very end showed the contact with the cartridge.

Thank you very much for the update. Have you already cleaned the cartridge holder/interface as I suggested earlier?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This is indeed, a very confusing issue. As you said, the problem doesn't exist with the old one. Please, inspect the old and new cartridges side by side so that you can compare them. Do you see any physical difference between the two?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have checked that, the only difference between the two is the generic has an additional sensor on the top. and the Generic has a hole to refill the toner. My tech here is updating the firmware on the printer. I work at a computer repair shop. A tech just saw I was having a problem.

Thank you for the update. I do love the generic cartridges; they just seem to work better and are cheaper. Have you considered simply refilling the toner on the old cartridge?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is not in my field of expertise. Just trying to get a job printed for the boss by his deadline.

If that is the case, you can shake the old cartridge a bit and use the rest of the toner in it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Already tried that, have streaks. The firmware update did not work, still have error with Canon Cartridge but not the generic.

I am sorry to say, but there is not much else that can be done. Typically, I would suggest purchasing another cartridge, but the new one you just used didn't work. It is very unlikely that two cartridges purchased at separate times would have the same issue. At this point, I am at a loss. It seems the printer's hardware is faulted.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your assistance. I guess at this point I call the printer repair man to came out. Thanks

You are super welcome.

Thank you for your time, the chance to work with you, and for the update.

I am a member of all computer, networking, and cell phone categories. If you ever need anything else, please let me know.

I'm online most hours of the day and only a brief time away.

-Jason

Please, do not forget to rate my help on the top of this page. Thank you kindlyl.

-Jason