Viet - Printer Tech
Viet - Printer Tech, Printer Technician
Experience:  Troubleshoot printers, scanners, etc.
30037186

2009 MacBook Pro with OSX 10.9.5. Connected by USB to

Customer Question

Customer: 2009 MacBook Pro with OSX 10.9.5. Connected by USB to Brother HL-2170W (laser b&w) and connected by home WiFi to Brother HL-3170CDW (laser color). Prints web pages just fine to HL-2170. ***** ***** not print web pages to HL-3170. It blinks and whirrs like it's going to print, but stops short of doing so. On the other hand, the HL-3170 prints documents and photos from the desktop just fine. Also prints from my iPhone 4S just fine, too.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: By the way, the handle here is Howard.
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Printers Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Howard (with the Brother printer problem) is in no rush.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Viet - Printer Tech replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. Is the MacBook Pro laptop currently able to print documents and photos to the HL-3170CDW printer fine?

Do you use Safari application for Internet/website? Or Chrome or Firefox, etc.?

Was the Macbook Pro able to print web pages fine previously on the HL-3170CDW printer?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you.

Please try each of the followings until it works:

Solution #1:

- Click on the Apple logo / menu, then click on System Preferences, then click on Printers & Scanners, then click on the printer HL-3170 there, then click on the - (minus) button at the bottom left, and delete it for now

, then download / install the file Brother_PrinterDrivers_ColorLaser_4_1_0.dmg at the Brother website below:

http://download.brother.com/welcome/dlf101402/Brother_PrinterDrivers_ColorLaser_4_1_0.dmg

http://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadend.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=hl3170cdw_all&os=132&dlid=dlf101402_000&flang=4&type3=10062

, then check printing a web page

; (if needed, make sure the printer HL-3170 is powered on, then click on the Apple logo / menu, then click on System Preferences, then click on Printers & Scanners, then click on the + (plus), then select the printer HL-3170, and add it, then check printing.)

Solution #2:

1. In Safari application, click on Safari menu at the top, then click on Preferences...
  2. Click on the "Privacy" tab at the top.
  3. Click the "Remove All Website Data..." button.
  4. Click the "Remove Now" button when prompted.
  5. Click on Safari menu at the top, then click on Quit Safari, then wait a bit, then re-open Safari, then check printing.

Solution #3:

- Download / install the Google Chrome application at the website below:

https://www.google.com/chrome

, then go to a website in the Chrome application, then see if you can print fine in the Chrome application.

Solution #4:

- Disconnect the power cord(s) from the internet/wireless modem/router device(s) for a few minutes, then reconnect

, then turn off the printer HL-3170, then disconnect the power cord from it for a couple of minutes, then reconnect, then turn on, then wait a few minutes

, then try printing a document from the Macbook laptop first, then print a website in Safari and/or in Chrome application.

Solution #5:

1. Click on the apple logo / menu, then click on System Preferences, then click Printers & Scanners.
  2. Hold down the Control key as you click in the printer list at the left, then choose “Reset printing system” from the menu that appears, and confirm. (Or right-click on a printer on the list, then click on Reset printing system, and confirm.)

After you reset the printing system, the list of printers in Printers & Scanners preferences is empty.

3. Click on the + (plus) button to add back each of your printers.

4. Check printing.

Please reply at the box below to continue troubleshooting. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
MacBook Pro (OS 10.9.5) wirelessly prints web pages on Brother HL-3170CDW from Safari, Chrome and SeaMonkey, but not from Firefox 41.0.2. Using Brother printer driver 4.1.0. It seems the problem is Firefox (which does, however, print via USB cable to my Brother HL-2170W). I've done all the recommended testing, resets and downloads.

I'm sorry. In Firefox, click on the 3-bar icon at the upper right corner, then click on History, then clear recent history, then select Everything for Time range to clear, then check only the two boxes: Cache and Offline Website Date, then clear
; then in Firefox click on the 3-bar icon at the upper right corner, then click on the ? (question mark), then troubleshooting information, then refresh firefox, then confirm refresh

, then check printing; if needed, quit firefox, and check printing.

- If that does not work:

1. Click the Bookmarks button or Bookmarks menu at the top and select Show All Bookmarks to open the Library window.

2. Click Import and Backup and choose Export Bookmarks to HTML....
  3. And save it to a folder you want.

, then quit Firefox

, then open Finder -> Applications, then trash the Mozilla Firefox application

, then download / reinstall Firefox at

http://www.firefox.com/

, then check.

Please let me know. Thank you.