John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

HP 8600 No matter if I print 50 or 200 pages the 5 to 7

Customer Question

HP 8600
No matter if I print 50 or 200 pages the 5 to 7 pages from the end do not print than I get 5 or 7 that print. This happens when I print the reverse side. I don't use the device for printing two sided. It never worked.
Category: Printers
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you with your question today. I am John, I will do my very best to help you solve this problem.

What Operative system version are you using? Go to www.whatsmyOS.com to find out and let me know.

Thank you

JOHN

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This happens with both WinXP Pro, Win Vista, and Win7Pro. Not OS related. This is printer drive and or printer only. I have not tested the copy funcion bu I wouldpresume it also happens if I do a long run with the copy function. Based on your question I assume you have no idea what this is about. I suggest this is a deep HP problem that they are avoiding.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Are you using the printer via wireless?

Are you printing directly from each PC to that printer? Or there is a computer acting as a printer host, and then you shared it to the other computers?

Also, as you said, it would be a very good troubleshooting if you could try to copy -let's say- 20 pages and see if it stops also, this would help to isolate the issue.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Direct USB all computers. The fewer the number of pages the fewer in stances of bad printed pages. It seems like the printers is giving the number of bad printed ages proportion to the number of pages printed at the same command. I usually try to print 100, 99 gives a better result.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

OK, if you have tried reloading the driver from the 3 OS's with no luck, then this is a little bit weird. So,

I will opt out so any other expert can try to help you, no need to write everything again, the new expert will see all the previous conversation.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have never found this in any other printer.
Thanks.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

Is it specific to one program?

That sounds more like a problem with word document setup. Parts are set to print duplex or to not print. I would love to see it myself so I could figure out which pages aren't printing and then look at them.

What exactly happens? Do they just not print? Is it the last pages or random ones in the document. Do they print afterwards but in the wrong order?

One possibility is they have been set to manual duplex so they print those pages that should be the second side after all of the first side pages are printed

Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

See my post above. But what I see happening is

You set the duplex off on the printer. But the program still sees it as a duplex printer

You told it to print one sided.

Then you go back and edit the document at some point. Those pages that got expanded to larger than one page again default to duplex.

The program now sends the job mostly single sided but a few pages are set to duplex.

The printer says I am not set to duplex automatically so he must want manual duplex and saves the 2nd side of those pages till all the other pages are finished

Or just doesn't print them

Or something similar

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This happens with any software program: OpenOffice, Notepad, Adobe.
I am convinced this is a HP printer problem. I can reproduce this with the copy funcion on the HP printer without involving the computer.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

this is why i was asking if it just skipped the pages or printed them later or printed blank pages for them

that would give me a better idea of what is happening

i can think of 2 possibilities

1. there is some sort of memory problem in the printer itself and a large job is more likely to hit that bad spot in the memory

2. The ink cartridge vents are a little bit clogged and if it prints too much too fast a vacuum builds up and wont let the ink get out. when it pauses for a minute between jobs the air gets back in and it prints properly until the same situation occurs again if it prints too much too fast again