Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

ERROR MESSAGE 6000 PAPER AS BEEN REMOVED, BUT 6000 ERROR

Customer Question

ERROR MESSAGE 6000
PAPER AS BEEN REMOVED, BUT 6000 ERROR STILL SHOWS AND PRINTER WILL NOT START.
I POWERED THE MACHINE OFF AS INSTRUCTED, STILL NO SUCCESS.
PRINTER: CANON PIXMA MG5420
HELP !...
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Is the message

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

This is a “line feed error” message which simply denotes an internal fault. That can be caused by anything from debris/obstruction (paper jam, bent/damaged rails, out of place purge assembly/wiper, or dirty/dislocated encoder strip) to an actual hardware defect (bad sensor or control board, faulty carriage drive motor/gear/belt, bad printhead/carriage pcb).

What we can try here are some cleaning and reset steps.
First, open up the printer, and check again with a flashlight for any internal debris such as scraps of paper, paperclip or staple, etc. Check if you’re able to move the carriage manually, or if it moves on its own when lifting the lid. If it does move, you can proceed with cleaning by blowing out the Inside compartment with compressed air and checking carefully on both sides for any obstructions. Then wipe down the encoder strip, which is a clear plastic strip running the width of the printer, that sits just slightly above and behind the carriage.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I’ll advise further if needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Followed your recommendations to correct 6000 error message, but it still comes up flashing the message........
??? now what?
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for trying. Unfortunately the persistence of the message really leaves only the possibility of an underlying hardware fault.

This could be a prior hardware failure that caused the jam, or the previous jam and paper may have caused the damage to the printer.

What this will come down to is a defect in the paper feed/drive mechanisms or the logic/control board.

The drive system is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2013 model printer, it is well into its maximum 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would be looking at $200-250 for repairs. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1Md4aNC

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,