Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

Message that there is a paper jam appears on screen of

Customer Question

Message that there is a paper jam appears on screen of printer MFC-J5910DW when paper jam has been resolved. I have unplugged machine and then replugged it again which hasn't helped. It also cannot print with message "unable to print 32". Machine definitely has not paper jam.
Category: Printers
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm still waiting for an answer!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am still waiting for an answer. I thought I was going to speak to a person. What's going on?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I regret that you were not responded to sooner, and will do what I can to provide the right answer to your question.

I regret that I cannot offer Live Phone Call service at this time. (If you would prefer to go back to waiting for an Expert to respond by phone, I will Opt Out at your request, to allow that.)

The news is unfortunately not very good: A 'print unable' or 'Unable to print' message on a Brother printer usually means a fatal error. To be frank, this sort of error often leads to a decision being needed, between having the printer repair-serviced, and replacing the printer.

First try opening the printer, and making sure that no loose parts, paper bits, paper sheets, debris, anything, is obstructing or obscuring the inner workings.

Second, while the printer is open, see if there is considerable (enough to notice) dust in the lower parts of the printer. If so, the 'encoder strip' might possibly be obscured by dirt and need cleaning... if this might be the case, let me know and I will instruct you further.

Third, was there a paper jam originally? if so, then if it was removed roughly, the machine may have been damaged, unfortunately.

And, wherever the jam occurred, and wherever paper was removed from the printer, would be the location that most needs a close inspection for anything wrong - broken parts, jammed paper presence sensor swiches, etc.

Lastly, leave the printer unplugged for overnight or longer. A 'rest reset' is about the last thing to try, before deciding between repairing and replacing a printer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Printer (menu says unable to print32) has worked and then discontinued printing. Same warning has again appeared.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

How old is the printer? measured from its date of original purchase.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for a comprehensive and realistic view of the printing problem. Now my printer only prints blank paper. I expect to purchase a new printer in the near future, unless you can suggest some new solution.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

If the paper jam message is gone, then that is a good sign. Improvement in the printer's condition has been achieved.

The next things to do are:

1. check and clear the printer's queue, then try printing again.

and if that fails to get results

2. uninstall-restart-reinstall the printer's drivers.

For me to instruct you exactly how to best go about that, with the greatest likelihood of the best results, requires that I ask:

What is your computer, a Windows PC or an Apple computer?

Which version of Windows (or MAC OS X ) is on it?

(If a Windows PC, what is its System Type? either 32-bit or 64-bit, and found in
Start - Control Panel - System and Security - System .)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The message that the printer is "unable to print32" keeps reappearing, adding that I should pull the jammed paper out of the machine. There is no jammed paper. Should I just give up and get a new machine? Thank you again for your prompt response and please forgive the impatience of an 82-old-year technically challenged person.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Oh. I thought the error message was gone.

Yes, at this rate replacing the printer would be easier, and you have done the reasonable things for the case.

(Don't worry about seeming impatient... we all find broken printers exasperating at times.)