Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I have a Maxify MB2020 4 in 1 inkjet printer. It's not

Customer Question

I have a Maxify MB2020 4 in 1 inkjet printer. It's not working. When I turn it on, it spits out two sheets of paper. It runs & runs for two minutes. Then the screen says "A printer error has occurred.. Turn it off and on again. If that doesn't work, see the manual and contact the service." I didn't get a manual, just a disc and I don't know how to get info off it. I just shows stats. Support code is B504.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Are you using genuine canon cartridges, or generic/refilled ones?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm using genuine Canon cartridges.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Okay, this specific error indicates a problem with the printhead, meaning that ink isn't getting to the nozzles.

There are a few possible causes of this issue, including a bad cartridge, internal debris/contamination, or a hardware failure (bad printhead, bad logic board, faulty sensor, etc).

What we can try are some cleaning and reset steps.

First remove all of the ink cartridges, then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Do the same with the ink port on bottom of them. Dry well, then reseat the cartridges.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further if needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My computer won't let me remove the ink cartridges.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

This has nothing to do with the computer. Lift the printer middle lid and the carriage will move over so you can access the cartridges.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know what you mean by the middle lid.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Top lid would be where you'd put a paper to scan. Mid panel would be the part you'd open to access the ink cartridges.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, didn't mean to say "my computer". I meant "my printer" won't let me access my cartridges. As soon as I open the mid-panel, the cartridges go into hiding off to the right. My printer won't do anything until I close the cover.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Lift the lid and immediately pull the power cord from the outlet, so it will freeze in the center where you can access it to check the cartridges.