Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

I'm struggling with getting my epson TM u220 to print from a

Customer Question

Customer: I'm struggling with getting my epson TM u220 to print from a POS program in a restaurant. It's been printing fine during the last few years over a parallel to usb cable (It's failed a few times but I was able to get it working in an hour or two). This time, however, I'm on day 2 with no printer.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Sure. It started yesterday, in the morning when my employees reported that it wouldn’t print. I’ve reinstalled drivers from Epson and tested several settings (it’s always been hard to get it to print over this cable). I finally reimaged with an image of the C: partition from 2 months ago and 2 years ago, but even that didn’t work. I tried combinations of settings in the POS software and in Printers & Drivers. I managed to get a second printer and cable on loan (thinking the cable or printer might be bad, but still it doesn’t print. Even the test page won’t print. I’ve just done a complete removal of the Epson drivers (in case I didn’t have a clean uninstall) and am wondering if the registry needs to be cleaned before I reinstall. Any ideas?
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Printers Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: The price is fine. What do I do?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Printers
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The sign up process took much longer than I expected. After 7 minutes of a revolving icon it still didn't accept my credit card so I switched to my paypal account. Also, I didn't read the fine print that non-rush service may mean 1 day between answers. Since I have to get this up and running soon I'll continue working on the problem while waiting.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. I'm sorry you had to be patient with the service.

Parallel-to-USB adapters can be flakey / unreliable. I would advise you to reinstall the driver for the adapter, if you are printing from a POS terminal with an operating system on it that can have drivers installed on it.

If on the other hand you are printing from a basic cash register's parallel port, then I would advise you (given you have done everything else) to replace the parallel-to-USB adapter after re-seating both sides of the connection and making sure it is well and firmly seated at both ends, with the power Off on both printer and register of course.

If your 'register' is really a PC, please tell me what Windows version is on it.

And, let me know if you've made any progress with it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Russell,
My pos system is on a pc with win 7 ultimate, the same os I've been using for many years. I can't imagine what caused the problem except to guess that an employee may have changed something by accident. I keep images of my operating system at different states over the years and normally just going back to a previous state that worked will solve the problem, after which I can update program data, etc. Yesterday I rolled back to two previous states from a long time ago and still no change. Makes me think that the cable or the printer are the problem, but I have another receipt printer on loan and that doesn't seem to work either. I was considering buying a card with a parallel port, just to connect it parallel to parallel which I read is a possible solution. I've downloaded the new drivers for epson tm-u220 which are:
APD_456E.exe (which I've installed now twice)
TMVirtualPortDriver830b.exe (which I don't know what it's for)I also have current images of the OS with the APD driver installed, and another clean with the driver uninstalled. I cleaned the registry with Glary Utilities after uninstalling but perhaps there's something more to do there as mentioned here:
"PROBLEM SOLVED
The issue (of the printer not printing) was bound to the fact that when I initially plugged in the printer without the Epson drivers installed, windows created registry entries relating to the hardware ID and associated the wrong driver. Even when I uninstalled both the epson hardware and the windows associated driver it left the registry entries untouched so when I plugged the device in again it went straight to them.
I had to restore the factory install of windows to its initial state (but Im sure a restore point just before the printer was ever plugged in, or manually deleting all of the relevant reg keys would have sufficed). Then I had to install the driver before plugging in the printer. Otherwise nothing works ever."
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/problem-installing-epson-tm-u220b-usb-interface-on/27ecfe1b-7e06-4a09-89fc-1cbe3e34e703So to make a long story short, I haven't made any progress.
I originally installed an older driver version, which I no longer have. Perhaps the newer driver is not totally compatible with this 6 year old parallel printer? That still doesn't explain why going to an image of 2 months ago doesn't work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
By the way, when reinstalling the driver, I'm choosing "create USB port". I also read here that:
"NOTE: If you have connected your TM-U220PD printer using a parallel to USB adapter cable, install your adapter's driver first and ensure the Device Manager recognizes it as an LPT (Parallel) port."
http://help.perfectmind.com/articles/199-Install-the-Epson-U220-Receipt-Printer-Driver
I tried selecting the LTP ports in Devices & Printers, one after another without restarting, but nothing changed.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

My sense at this point is that either the old printer or the (unreliable?) parallel-to-USB adapter may be defective.

Did you ever (as what you quoted mentioned) plug the printer in to the computer before installing the driver again? if you did, that *is* confirmedly a mistake.

I think you say that another printer also does not work on this parallel-to-USB adapter ? then the adapter is more likely to be the problem.

If the computer has a USB port, I'd really love to solve the problem for you, by telling you to get an up-to-date printer that has a USB port and doesn't need the adapter (so if it's broken, that way it doesn't need replacing)... a printer that basically is guaranteed to work with your computer without extensive try-and-try-again and disk-imaging and so forth, which (if your time is of value) is really costing a lot. Printers don't cost a lot these days, it's the ink that really gets into your pocket money, so replacing the printer may be more efficient than you would think at first.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me think about that...I don't like to spend the $ if it's just the problem of a setting or something that can be fixed with a proper install of the driver or the change of a cable. I truly don't believe that I plugged in the printer before putting in the driver, especially after reading comments. Are you familiar with the port settings that should be present? Just to double check.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
settings in Devices and Printers...
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

What are the current port settings there, for the printer and/or adapter, please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
give me a few minutes, I'll send them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh, I left the computer without the driver, anticipating that I would reinstall it under your directions --
I'll either reinstall it now, selecting USB port, default printer, etc or let me know if otherwise.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

IF there's an alternative to 'USB port' that references the USB-to-parallel adapter, you might want to choose that as the output 'port' instead.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no alternative specifying the cable. You can select parallel, serial, usb virtual port or one other, can't remember.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

USB Virtual, I would try. If that doesn't work and you have the patience to disconnect the printer, uninstall the printer, restart, and re-install the printer, choose Parallel the next time. ? just to touch all the bases on possible settings and choices, before concluding you tried everything.