Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

My printer will not print out the whole letter just the clip

Customer Question

my printer will not print out the whole letter just the clip art but shows the whole letter in the preview It just started doing this I have a Epsion wF-2540 please help Cecilia
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Does it seem to be the black text that does not print?
If you make a copy, directly from the glass, in black only mode, how does that come out?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not printing at all
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
goes through the process and the paper comes out blank from the glass
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for confirming,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what do I do now to fix the problem
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it), at least for the black nozzles (which always fail first because they get the most use)

Go into the setup and run the head clean function again, up to 5 times total. If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2012 model printer, it is at/past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $150; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,