littlerusty2005
littlerusty2005, Technician
Experience:  Printer expert
63817454

I have a brother 3150 cdn. second time i have bought a new

Customer Question

i have a brother 3150 cdn. for the second time i have bought a new black toner cartridge, followed the instructions, but when i put the new cartridge in the machine, it is still saying "replace block toner cartridge" - very frustrating as i have just put in a brand new black cartridge. any help appreciated - david
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** do not rate until we are finished. I look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure. Is this a genuine non refilled Brother cartridge? How old is the machine? Does the original cartridge before these two new ones do the same thing if you put it back in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Freddy - yes, it is a geniune non refilled brother cartridge. Machine is only 5 months old. Yes, the original cartridge before these two new ones does the same thing if i put it back in. thanks David
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

I apologize but I need to opt out and open this to all experts.

Expert:  littlerusty2005 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Rusty. Sorry to hear you're having a problem, let's try cleaning the contacts. Use a microfiber cloth and rubbing alcohol. Clean the part that touches the electronics on the cartridge. That is what talks to your cartridges, and even a little smudge can make them not work.

If that doesn't do the trick, there is a problem with the electronics, and we'll have to discuss replacement options. It is still under warranty, so I would not recommend doing the repair yourself, it will void the warranty. Call customer service at (02) 8875-6000.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry to be so dumb, but what is the "contacts". what is the part that touches the electronics on the cartridge?

See the metal parts on the cartridge? When you have the printer open, they are on the right side, and they make contact with the toner cartridges to tell how much toner is left, and identify the cartridge. If these get touched, they malfunction and need to be cleaned. If a cleaning doesn't work, then the IC that controls the contacts has gone out.