Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

My Canon Pixma MP500 is suddently displaying the following

Customer Question

My Canon Pixma MP500 is suddently displaying the following error message: This type printer head is not correct. Insert the correct printer head. The printer did work perfectly until two days ago.
What should I do?
br Erik
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

The problem could be temporary (though it usually isn't, with this sort of problem and various types of printer)... or it could be the circuitry in the printer's main portion at fault.... or it could be the printhead is at fault... or, the printhead/printer interface contacts may be a bit dirty, perhaps.

So I recommend these steps, in this order:

1. try a 'rest reset': while the printer is On, unplug it from the power, sharply and suddenly.

Leave it that way, unplugged from the power, for at least 2 hours. After that time, or longer, plug in to the power again, and see if it powers On without error.

2. try removing the printhead from the printer (while the printer is Off).

Then be sure there is no dirt on the printhead's contacts, so clean them with cotton swabs moistened with alcohol, and then put the printhead back into the printer, secure it, and try the printer again.

3. and lastly you could try replacing the printhead, or else replace the printer (which in a considerable number of cases, is necessary, and since a replacement printhead often costs a lot - though I cannot swear it would in this case - that is often most economical.)

Let me know how it goes, please... and if you want to perhaps try replacing the printhead, let me know and I will look up sources for a replacement.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Russell,...and thank you for your advice. I will start with your suggestion step 1. If that does not solve the problem, I will go to step 2. If still unsuccessful, I may be looking for a new printer.I will keep you updated with the results.br Erik
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

OK. Let me know how it goes, please. Thanks for letting me know, Erik.