Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

Epson r3000 using photoshop4. I'm trying to print a photo

Customer Question

epson r3000 using photoshop4. Hi, I'm trying to print a photo print 12"x48" on a roll of paper. The paper feeds half way out and then the image starts being printed and comes out halfway through the image. Also it has started printing across the paper the wrong way ,not lengthwise but across 90degree wrong way. Any idea whats up?
Thanks Sandy
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

You most likely have conflicting settings. With regard to the Photoshop settings (which are elaborated beyond all other programs, by and large) as opposed to the printer's driver settings... one may indicate one thing while the other indicates the other, producing a conflict.

Check your driver settings for your printer... in Windows, they are in

Control Panel - Devices and Printers

and right-click upon the icon for your printer, then choose

Properties

and in the Properties sheet for the printer, are the printer's "driver settings". Make sure that Portrait vs. Landscape is set there, to agree with whatever you have set it to in Photoshop.

(Portrait is the usual mode of printing e.g. a page of text. Landscape is the other way, like a landscape painting which is usually broader than it is tall.)

When you have made the printer's settings right in the Properties sheet, click on OK until the Properties sheet closes, in order to save the changed settings. Then double-check that they agree in Photoshop, and try again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok there is more information. I am using a Mac first off. I have adjusted printer settings before and am quite familiar with how to do it. In the preview box it shows the whole image within the boundaries to be printed just like it should. But when I hit print it goes half way down the roll of paper and then starts printing the image halfway through it and smaller proportions. I have never had this happen before. So your response doesn't answer my question or solve my problem...
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Have you selected Roll Paper in the driver settings, as well as in Photoshop's settings?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have selected it in the printer settings (as I have printed other images from rolls) but not sure about Photoshop settings?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Photoshop's Print settings, specifically.

(What version of Photoshop are you printing from?)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

File - Print

has settings in it, and also the

Print Settings

button has other settings.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do that all the time, this is a file I received from another source and I sized it up to 12x48 and changed the dpi to 300 and set the margins to fit it, selected roll paper (as I had just printed another image from the roll, smaller but no problems) and then tried this one and as I said it starts half way through it...so my question is advanced not basic stuff
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Very good.

Since it is a file from another source, don't take any setting for granted. It might have a specification of a different printer or type / model of printer associated with it. Go through all settings - and the top margin setting and the printer type or printer model setting shouldn't be neglected.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I figured it had to have something to do with the file itself. But how do I know what the specifics are of it? I don't see any different information associated with it. There is one part of the page set up window that has an area that asks for top bottom let and right (non printable area) and I set all those to 0. I always pick the Epson R3000 from any drop down window. So I am stumped
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Well, so am I - it's puzzling.

Try saving the file, once you have loaded it into Photoshop, to another file (different name, and/or different type of file too, provided quality of image is not lost.)

Then try printing that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have resaved it under a different name and a tif file, I guess I could try saving it back to a jpeg...do you really think that will matter?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

It might. Possibly.