Viet - Printer Tech
Viet - Printer Tech, Printer Technician
Experience:  Troubleshoot printers, scanners, etc.
30037186

My canon 5500 printer scanner is not being recognized by my

Customer Question

My canon 5500 printer scanner is not being recognized by my Mac book air as a dual purpose, only printer.
This is nuts because I have been using both devices very easily until noon today when the "scan" option disappeared when I opened the systems preferences printer icon. How do I get my scanner back? Thank you.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Viet - Printer Tech replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. Is printing still working fine?

Can you please open Finder, then open Applications, then open folder Canon Utilities, then open IJ Scan Utililty app there and use it to scan?

If you do not see the IJ Scan Utility app there, then download / install the "MG5500 series Full Driver & Software Package..." at the Canon website below:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/printers_multifunction/pixma_mg_series/pixma_mg5520#DriversAndSoftware

, then check scanning; if needed, check the IJ Scan Utility app in Finder -> Applications -> Canon Utilities -> IJ Scan Utility.

Also, if needed, there, download / install the Software called IJ Scan Utility there.

Please reply at the box below to continue troubleshooting. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already downloaded the latest driver and software package, it still doesn't work

Sorry, do you see the IJ Scan Utility app in Finder -> Applications -> Canon Utilities -> IJ Scan Utility?

Is the printer connected to the computer with a USB cable? Or is the connection wireless?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see Canon IJ Scan Utility2 which then opens up to " auto, photo, doc, custom, stick, driver with instructions on bottom left and settings on bottom right

What happens when you click on Auto in the Canon IJ Scan Utility2 app? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have hit the document option and I am now told that the laptop cannot communicate with the scanner because the scanner is turned off, ??, signal strength is poor??, different scanner on network is selected????
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have changed nothing since this morning!!!!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please walk me through connecting my canon Pixma to the wifi, thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you still, there for $26 ?

I'm sorry, I am troubleshooting the issue and writing all of these.

Are you currently able to print via USB cable or via wireless/wifi connection (that is if you are able to print)?

What's the status of the Wi-Fi/wireless icon / light on the printer?

In the Canon IJ Scan Utility2 application, at the top, on the right of "Product Name", click on the drop-down list, then if you see another item, such as ... Network, then click on it, then click on Auto option and see if you can scan.

Please reply at the box below. Don't worry, we guarantee our service. Thank you.