Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I have a MG5520. I'm using edible ink. I get very poor

Customer Question

I have a MG5520. I'm using edible ink. I get very poor picture quality. the pic has lines running through it and poor quality. Even in the test page. How do I adjust this?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it).

This is a common problem when using aftermarket products (edible ink) which is not officially supported, and not of the same formulation as the intended ink, so it makes the machine much more prone to clogging and causes it to wear much faster.

You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function, if it doesn’t work try it a second time. If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2012 model printer, it is at/past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nathan, I'm sorry that my question got to you. I was going to the payment page and the site changed my one question to having to sign up for a monthly fee. I thought I cancelled this. I was not interested in a monthly service. I will try again to take up this matter with the site. Thank you.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

There is no requirement for an ongoing monthly subscription, you can certainly use the service just the one time for your above question.

You can check/change your subscription status at any time from the Help/Account link at the top right of this page.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1Md4aNC

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,