Md. Sadique
Md. Sadique, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics engineer with 7+ years of experience in repairing office equipments & printers
22727371

My printer was working fine until it ran out of paper. I put

Customer Question

My printer was working fine until it ran out of paper. I put more paper in the drawer and closed it. The screen tells me that there is a problem with the printer or the ink system. Turned it off as instructed but when I started it again, I got the same message.
HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus
Category: Printers
Expert:  Md. Sadique replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for your question.

Please follow the steps below:

1) Turn off the printer.
2) Open the printer.
3) Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
4) Use cotton swabs dipped in rubbing alcohol to thoroughly clean the area where the cartridges sit and the contacts on each cartridges .
Note:You have to clean repeatedly until there is no ink residue coming off on the cotton swab.
5) Then allow the cartridges to dry(important).
6) Then replace back everything.
7) Then turn off your printer for a minute or two and then restart and print a test page.

Tell me how it goes!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have rubbing alcohol on hand so will have to get some tomorrow and try this. Thank you.

No problem, take your time.

Just keep me posted!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. I have removed all the cartiridges, cleaned them and the contacts. Dried them, put them back, turned off and restarted. Same message. One that comes on the computer says “Printer needs intervention. The printer has a problem etc……………..” The one on the printer screen says Printer Failure and then There is a problem with the printer or ink system. Turn printer off, then on. If problem persists, contact HP. It sounds like it is trying to grab paper but it doesn’t. The paper tray is full and closed correctly.

Turn Off the printer, unplug it from the power as well as from computer completely.Then remove all paper from the paper feed unit and blow it out with compressed air a few times. With a flashlight look inside the paper feed to ensure there is nothing obstructing the paper feed mechanism down inside the printer where it is not easily seen.

Next, take moistened Q-tips and clean the rubber rollers in the automatic sheet feeder using it. Then blow some compressed air inside the printer as well to remove excess dust and to dry the rollers.

Holding the printer in both hands , turn it upside down and gently shake it for a few seconds to see if anything falls out of the paper feed area.

Then plug the printer back up and replace it with a fresh, small stack (about 5 pages) of paper.Then try to print again.

If still it doesn't helps then as a last resort you can try forcing a thick paper or fold a A4 piece of paper in half, and then by hand push it through the machine, hopefully this may push any objects out.

After that turn the printer OFF, when it is on, by unplugging it from the power source.
Then unplug it from the computer and leave it that way for 10 minutes. Then replace everything back.

Tell me how it goes!

Please don't rate this answer until your problem is solved. If this answer doesn't works then reply using the Reply to expert feature.

Regards,