Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I have a Canon MX892 printer. When we moved into a new house

Customer Question

I have a Canon MX892 printer. When we moved into a new house and I tried to use it I keep getting error messages. I have tried to use the CD-ROM to re-set the printer and nothing works. The printer comes on but will not recognize my laptop.
Category: Printers
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you need more info from me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when can I expect an answer. Your estimate was 8 minutes and it's been 20 minutes. I have other commitments and cannot wait all evening so I'd appreciate an real estimate so I can plan accordingly.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

What specific error code/message are you getting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Printer not responding is the message.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

So you get that on the computer, correct?

Please go to the printer and make a photocopy, directly from the glass. Does that work?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Copy function worked fine.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Okay, then this is a configuration issue.

Your printer has to be reconfigured to use the new wifi network at the new house.

You'll need to go into the printer setup menu and run through the wireless setup (find your wifi network, enter password, etc).

Then you'll need to delete the printer from your computer (go to devices/printers folder, right click on the canon, then Remove Device).

Reboot the computer, then go here: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/printers_multifunction/office_all_in_one_inkjet_printers/pixma_mx892#DriversAndSoftware

Download the full driver/software package, and reinstall it (as Network printer, not local).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I need an administrator password ***** this is a work computer. I'll have to try this tomorrow.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Yes you most likely would.

You may need to have your IT guys at work install the software for you.

The printer part still has to be done on your end to get it on the wifi though.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

You're very welcome.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1Md4aNC

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,