Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I have a canon pixma mg5320 printer When i try to print it

Customer Question

i have a canon pixma mg5320 printer When i try to print it will not print but spews out paper from the bottom tray. Earlier it would only print from the back tray (for photos) but now it will not even do that.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Do you have any trouble with printing on regular paper (just a normal document) or making a photocopy?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I try to make a copy it works but only if I put the paper in the back section where you put photo paper. When I tried to cope from the computer all it did was spew out the paper from the lower paper holder
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Have you gone into the printer settings to tell it which paper is in which tray?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we tried to find a setting that would change the tray setting but couldn't or we just didn't know which one it was . well ... we just punched in reset all but nothing changed from before
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

When you open the tray and close it, it should prompt you to tell it what was put in.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where should I see this prompt. When I open and closed the tray nothing came up.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

It should show on the front panel of the printer.

If it is not, that is an indication of an internal hardware problem (bad sensor or control board), which is likely the underlying issue of why it will only default to the manual tray as well, because it can't detect the primary tray.

Open it up, remove the paper supply, and blow the inside out with compressed air.

Fan the paper stack, replace it,

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I’ll advise further if needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We did what you said except for blowing with compressed air. We didn't have any. It didn't work. We are now going to get some air. Is there anything in the meantime we can do.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

No, this is really about all you can do yourself - to clean and reset the system.

Beyond that we'd be looking at a hardware fault that will ultimately require repairs. I'll advise further on that if needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. we will get back to you later... thank you
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome, and good luck!