Shefin, Printer and Office Equip. Specialist
Experience:  Working as tech support specialist with a worldwide computer manufacturer.
15907069

My cannon pixma 450 is sending me an error code (5100) and I

Customer Question

my cannon pixma 450 is sending me an error code (5100) and I can't get to clear it...
Category: Printers
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi guys, am I going to get an answer? :-) It initially said my wait time was 8 min. - been waiting 20 min. now. Really need some immediate assistance. Thanks.
Expert:  Shefin replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

Thank you for your question. I am Shefin and I look forward to helping you with your issue today.

I apologize for the delay in my response.

The issue may happen because of the following reasons.

An ink tank(s) is not seated properly.

Paper is jammed or there is an object inside the printer.

The printer needs to be reset.

Or the encoder film/strip may need to be cleaned.

So, first check if the ink tanks are seated properly.

Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself. Inside means the printhead where the cartrdige seats.
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging replace them.
Then turn off the machine and unplug it for 5 minutes.
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message.
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.

Second, check if there a paper is jammed or any foreign object inside the printer.

Then, reset the printer. Turn off the printer, unplug all its cables and wait for 5 minutes. Then, plug in the cables and restart the printer. Check if the error remains.

If the issue still persists, follow the instructions below.

There is a thin (1/4"wide) plastic strip running across the width in front of and below the drive belt. This is part of the optical encoder that tells the print-head where it is. If you look closely, there are fine black vertical lines on this strip. If the strip gets a piece of crud on it, you get an error during the start-up sequence. Gently clean this strip with a damp lint-free tissue. This also fixed a gap in the printing running lengthwise (not across the page like a clogged head).

If the issue still persists, try the following.

The last solution is to grease the track the print carriage slides along. Apply grease to as much of the track as you can reach without disassembling the printer and rub some along the underside of the track. You will probably still get the error at first, but keep opening and closing the printer so the carriage slides back and forth and hopefully it will go away after a few tries.

If the issue persists, or you have any questions, please be back and let me know.

If you appreciate my service, please rate it EXCELLENT by clicking the EXCELLENT (5 Stars) and Submit. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

Thank you!
S H E F I N

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the ink cartridges are not even sliding into position... they are at the far left... the power button is blinking twice, as is the little orange triangle... how do I start?
Expert:  Shefin replied 1 year ago.

Please disconnect the power cable and try moving it manually using your hands. Apply little force but not more.

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** it's alright. Do not worry about it any more. I presume I will not be charged the remaining fees?
Expert:  Shefin replied 1 year ago.

You will be charged only once. Are you able to resolve the issue?

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
doesn't it say 100% satisfaction guarantee? well, I'm not satisfied... like I said, I needed assistance last night, was assured my wait time would be only 8 min. but that was grossly inaccurate! I would have never signed up for anything if I would have known that help would have to wait until the next morning... please do not charge me anything! the problem is not resolved!
Expert:  Shefin replied 1 year ago.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you. I would suggest you contact our customer support, if you have charged for the session.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

Thank you.

S H E F I N