Jason Jones, Technician
Experience:  10+ years work experience.
30759776

I get this message: "This printing job cannot finish

Customer Question

I get this message: "This printing job cannot finish printing because another printing job preventing your printer from printing."
Category: Printers
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I’ll be glad to help with the printer issue.

Expert:  WesPCDr replied 1 year ago.

There is most likely a print job stuck in the queue. Delete the print jobs in the print queue and try to print again.

1. Open Devices and Printers from the Start Menu

2. Right-click on the printer with the problem and click on See What's Printing

3. Click on each item in the list and choose Document, Cancel, then Delete each print job in the queue

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here's some more data, Wes. I had already tried what you suggested. No luck. I did it again, but every time I end up just deleting the document on the printing job and give up. Now what?I’m using Windows 7. I try to print documents, and I get the jobs backed up in the queue. And I’ve started getting messages that say something like, “This printing job can’t begin printing because there’s another printing job preventing this printing job from printing.” I don’t get any sound. Just occasionally that message. But it won’t print at all.I suspect I did something to make it go bad, because I was trying to get larger print of one document with tiny print, so I pressed something called “scaling” on the print page, and the next thing I knew, the font all over the screen was too big, and nothing would print. I’d love to just go back.Oh, I’ve tried installing new drivers from Canon. I think I did it, but it didn’t do any good.
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 1 year ago.

Sounds as if the printer is offline. Do the settings in Devices and Printers show printer Online / Status?

Also, is there a cancel button on your printer that you can use for any pending jobs to delete?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know where to look for a printer online/offline status indicator? I went to Devices and Printers but saw nothing like that? Do I have to take a few more steps to get there? Regarding my printer, an old Canon MP730, I don't see a cancel button anywhere.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
26 September 2015 11:23
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there? I'm seeing something--LPT1--when I check to see what's supposed to be printing. It's in the "port" space. I looked online and saw references to LPT1 as a port-related something-or-other. Does that help any?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm going to bed shortly. Any more ideas?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess I've lost you Wes. Thanks anyway. Dan
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 1 year ago.

Sorry. I lost the connection as well.

Expert:  WesPCDr replied 1 year ago.

The LPT1 is the type of connection from the old printers to your computer.

Do you know if you have an LPT1 or USB cable from your printer to your computer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know the difference. Can you describe it? It's an old printer.It sound like you're not familiar with this particular machine. Right?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wes, how do I go about trying another expert? I need someone who's there right now, just waiting for messages. What do I do?
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 1 year ago.

I'll open the question so other experts can help.

Expert:  Jason Jones replied 1 year ago.

I will be the person helping you today.

I can see that you may need a little bit of extra help.

May I ask if you still need help with this problem? If so, may I start a screen sharing session on your computer and help you resolve the problem?

Once the remote session begins, we will be able to communicate via a chat window on your computer.

Thank you,
Jason

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I no longer need help. I finally got the answer from someone at Microsoft. So, I don't know if this is going to ***** ***** or Wes, but I'm all set now. Thanks very much. How, though, do I go about getting my money back?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It says below that I have an "Unclaimed offer" -- I don't know what that means. But I think I won't take you up on it, but thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what do I do? I don't want to bad mouth anyone on the review, but I didn't get my answer from one of you folks. How can I avoid giving a bad report? What's the number of stars for me being in too big a hurry to wait around for Wes to return to the phone and looking elsewhere for an answer?

You can ignore the rating. I will send up the refund request now. Thank you.