Md. Sadique
Md. Sadique, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics engineer with 7+ years of experience in repairing office equipments & printers
22727371

My Brother 4570 printer keeps jamming. It is jamming trying

Customer Question

My Brother 4570 printer keeps jamming. It is jamming trying to pick up the paper from the tray.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

If the printer is trying to pick up a sheet of paper and slips off that will cause that error. Its not so much a paper "jam" as that it just couldn't get the paper into the printer.

that is usually a worn out pickup roller. You can replace them on some printers. I have also had good results just roughing them up a little bit with some course sandpaper or using a razor blade to make very very fine lines on the roller. You don't want to damage the rubber. just make very shallow lines to give it some tread to be able to grip the paper.

You also want to check that the paper is not stuck together from humidity try using paper from a new package and fan it out before putting it in the printer and make sure that it is seated in the tray correctly. Some printers as they get older will be able to pick up paper more easily when the tray is more full or more empty you can experiment a little with how many sheets you put in the tray.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We roughed up the pick rollers with sand paper and the paper in the printer is fresh and 3/4 full. That did not work. The print job starts, you can hear the rollers pick up the paper. The paper goes into the feeder about 1/4" and then stops.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

either there is something right there that is blocking it

or there is another roller that is supposed to pick it up from there

or most likely explanation.

there is a sensor that is supposed to see that the paper has reached that point and that isnt working. I havent got the scematics for that printer but these days its usually some sort of electronic sensor motion or light detecting. I doubt if you could buy a replacement even if you could find it.

I think your best bet would be to take it to an authorized repair shop, but i will opt out here and maybe somebody else knows that printer better than i do and has a better idea of where it would be and how you can replace it.

Expert:  Md. Sadique replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for your question. I'm another expert and I look forward to assisting you today with the best answer possible.
The most common and likely cause to this type of problem is either some foreign object/paper dust is stuck in the paper feed or printer, or the paper sensor in the feed tray has become dirty or defective.

Turn Off the printer, unplug it from the power as well as from computer completely.Then remove all paper from the paper feed unit and blow it out with compressed air a few times. With a flashlight look inside the paper feed to ensure there is nothing obstructing the paper feed mechanism down inside the printer where it is not easily seen.

Next, take moistened Q-tips and clean the rubber rollers in the automatic sheet feeder using it. Then blow some compressed air inside the printer as well to remove excess dust and to dry the rollers.

Holding the printer in both hands , turn it upside down and gently shake it for a few seconds to see if anything falls out of the paper feed area.

Then plug the printer back up and replace it with a fresh, small stack (about 5 pages) of paper.Then try to print again.

If still it doesn't helps then as a last resort you can try forcing a thick paper or fold a A4 piece of paper in half, and then by hand push it through the machine, hopefully this may push any objects out.

After that turn the printer OFF, when it is on, by unplugging it from the power source.
Then unplug it from the computer and leave it that way for 10 minutes. Then replace everything back.

Tell me how it goes!

Please don't rate this answer until your problem is solved. If this answer doesn't works then reply using the Reply to expert feature.

Regards,