Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I am trying ask a new question: My Brother MFC-9440 CN is

Customer Question

I am trying ask a new question: My Brother MFC-9440 CN is telling me: "Print Unable 71". What does it mean? What do I do?
Category: Printers
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Instead of a phone call, please just send the "e-mail" answer; I need to leave here now. Thanks - -***@******.*** .
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Larry.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, this is an internal hardware failure.

The specific code indicates a "laser unit polygon motor error", which means a faulty laser/imaging unit, bad engine pcb, or bad main/logic pcb.

. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear, as a 2007 model, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising as this machine was designed and built for only a 5 year service life.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation

unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the stop/cancel button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; at that point it is time for a new printer. While it can be fixed, it is not practical to do so. You'd be in the $350 range to have the internal power supply, and a logic board would run you $250. For $350-450 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1Md4aNC

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,