Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

Some small staples spilled into the back of my 520 Workforce

Customer Question

Some small staples spilled into the back of my 520 Workforce Epson printer. Most were retrieved, but printer now jams all paper so I cannot use the printer at all.
Any suggestions?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I think that, since you have already tried the best measures there are for the problem, that you may need to take the printer to a shop, 1. to have it opened up and cleaned out, all the staples removed period - for metal objects loose inside a printer are a distinct hazard to the circuitry, and if they get into/onto a circuit board, they can burn it out and damage it quite easily... and 2. to have the paper jam problem addressed.

There might be an exception to this recommendation: if you *have* already cleaned out the staples, all of them, for sure... and if you shake the printer left-right-left after picking it up, it should rattle slightly in a certain way if there are staples still inside it, though really only X-ray vision make it be certain there are none still wedged and immobile for the moment inside... if the printer really is cleaned, then the paper jamming problem might be owing to parts having been dislodged by having the printer turned upside down and shaken.

But you say the jamming happened even before you shook the printer upside down. Please describe the jamming problem in more detail: where does it jam, what is the exact message on the printer, does it jam one sheet or several sheets at once, etc.