Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

I have a Canon iPF815 which is connected to the network. I

Customer Question

I have a Canon iPF815 which is connected to the network. I can print a test page, but printing an actual plot or pdf file fails. The job appears in the queue as immediately deleting. This began a few days ago - it has been working well for 6 months previously.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

What is your computer, that you print from: a Windows PC or an Apple computer?

Which version of Windows (or MAC OS X ) is on it?

(If a Windows PC, what is its System Type? either 32-bit or 64-bit, and found in
Start - Control Panel - System and Security - System .)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
64 bit 2008 R2 Terminal server. This is a large format printer. Was working for 6 months. It is now printing only intermittently. I was thinking about upgrading the firmware. Drivers are up to date.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

The drivers may have become corrupted. Do the drivers for the printer reside on the Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit machine, and is it the computer that is directly connected to the Canon wide-format printer?

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

...If so, I suggest uninstalling the drivers for the Canon wide-format printer, restarting the server, then re-installing those drivers for the Canon printer.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/printers_multifunction/imageprograf_series/imageprograf_ipf815_mfp#DriversAndSoftware

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The server is a VM. The printer is installed via TCP/IP port. The drivers have been uninstalled and reinstalled already.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Then the problem could be caused by a great variety of causes:

- spooling settings.

- network permissions.

- malware infection.

- Canon printer's interface or network electronics failing (I am presuming, at this point, that the 'test page' that prints OK is generated by the printer itself and does not involve the interface hardware of the printer.)

- flakey cable(s), loose cable(s).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I upgraded the firmware and we will see if that helps. The test page prints from the VM, not the printer itself. Network tests good; no dropped packets over a period of hours or during the failed jobs. There is no malware infection, and network permissions have not changed. The folks trying to print have full control over print functions.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

So, have you monitored packet transmission to the printer itself?

That is, Would all the print jobs be being sent to the printer?

When you say the test print is sent from the VM, what does that mean exactly?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
packets to the printer nic.I mean the test page is sent from the printer properties interface on the term server VM, not from the physical printer interface. The test pages always work, which tells me the issue is not network or permissions.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

So: was there an update to the server installed recently? or about the time the printer became unreliable/inoperative, a few days ago?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No :(
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Was *anything* done to the server a couple days ago? don't just say 'no' :) just, please, look in the logs on the server. Even if nobody authorized changed something, perhaps someone unauthorized did.