Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I have n Epson WF-2540. I ask it to print, it appears to be

Customer Question

I have n Epson WF-2540. I ask it to print, it appears to be all right and even SOUNDS like it is printing, but NOTHING on the page. I DO have ink and is will print, as it printed the test page when I re-installed the software.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Please try making a photocopy, directly from the glass, in both black and color modes, and let me know how those come out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Color worked, black and white did not.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just realized I didn't restart my computer after installing the software... can I get you back if that doesn't work??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where are you????
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am getting no response from you. I am logging off to try that. I am NOT satisfied with this exchange....
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

I'm here, thank you for the information. It takes a few minutes for messages to come through.

Please reply only once, and give me an opportunity to respond. When you send multiple replies, you get lost in the queue and I don't get any of them, delaying the process even further.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Restarting will not help, nor will the software. This is not a computer or a software issue, it is a hardware problem.

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (at least for the black nozzles)

You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function, if it doesn’t work try it a second time. If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2012 model printer, it is at/past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $125; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,