Dustin, Printer Repair Specialist
Experience:  A deep understanding and technical prowess in the finer points of printing and printer repair. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

I have a Samsung Printer model 3175 fw, bought in 2010 and

Customer Question

I have a Samsung Printer model 3175 fw, bought in 2010 and have always used on my wifi network. Last month my xfinnity modem went out and I picked up a new modem with a new network password. I have not been able to get the printer to work. I have a mac air, 10.10.5 using yosemite X OS. i was told by the samsung people to get a usb to usb port so that I can update my printer with the new software available online. Both the apple store and the specialist cable store recommended that I NOT do this because of the low voltage in the cable as it could cause either the printer or computer to fry. They suggested I download to a flash drive and then connect to the printer but Samsung would do this. HELP
Category: Printers
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

I dont feel confident about the " low voltage" advice you were given. The standard way to update printers is via a USB cable. Ive recommended and overseen hundreds, if not closer to a thousand different printer software updates using a usb cable. The printer you have though, cant have its firmware update as there isnt any firmware updates showing on the samsung support page.

http://www.samsung.com/ca/support/model/CLX-3175FW/XAA

There are a ton of drivers, and even a easy wifi utility that may help. But not the type of firmware the samsung reps were suggesting.

An easy step may be, going into the admin control panel of your new wifi router, and then setting the network name, and the password ***** the exact ones that the printer was using before. That should let the printer reconnect.

Or, you could try downloading and running the easy wifi setup utility, and seeing if it can guide you through reconnecting to the network.

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/SW/201407/20140707103059437/EasyWirelessSetup_Mac_V1.4.0.zip

The main issue here is, the printer still has the old network name and password ***** So we need to either go into the printers control panel, settings, network / wireless and connect it to the new network. Or we need to use the wifi setup utility.

If you get stuck or run into issues attempting the above suggestions, let me know.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.