Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

How do I turn my Canon image Class D40 'completely off'

Customer Question

How do I turn my Canon image Class D40 'completely off' before unplugging. Where is the off button?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I presume you have and are asking about a Canon EOS 40D digital camera (and 'ImageClass' is a Canon laser-type printer line... so, I'm guessing to some extent, I admit.)

Try setting the Auto-Power-Off setting shown here:

http://kbsupport.cusa.canon.com/system/storage/1/kb/attachments/ServiceWareImages/LDImages/SolutionAnswer/EOS_5D/autopoweroff01.gif

Turn the dial to select Auto Power Off, press SET, turn the dial to select the time you want, then press SET.

If you set the auto-power-off, wait that amount of time, then the camera *will* power Off. Period.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I apologize. I am asking about the paper jam in my Canon image class copier D340. I found an answer which said to 'turn it completely off and then unplug it...wait 70 seconds and then 'as you are plugging it back in, hold the stop/cancel button.' I thought I was responding to that advice when I asked where the off/on button for turning it completely off is located on my copier. I have never found it.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

That may be advice for a different model of printer. The holding down of the STOP/CANCEL button would be a standard sort of hold-button-down-while-turning-On method. It might work with this model though.

As for turning it Off before unplugging it - if you unplug it sharply and suddenly, it doesn't need to be turned Off first, and in fact having it On when you unplug it can help drain electric impulses and stored charges from the circuitry.

I'd advise waiting 20 minutes, not 70 seconds, though. Try it.