Michelle
Michelle, Printer Expert
Experience:  B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors
26798893

I can't remove the cartridges because they do not move to

Customer Question

Hi Andy, I can't remove the cartridges because they do not move to the centre, thanks
Category: Printers
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help resolve the problem you have posted.

The jammed sheet which you took out did the full page came out it was torn and pieces might still be in.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The full page came out. I restarted afterwards and it just comes up with printer error
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Open the printer cover and when the carriage head moves to center pull out the power cord.

The Purge unit is on the right side. Use a flashlight and you will see two ink pads. This is where the print-head is PARKED and is the top of the Purge unit.

There you will find wiper blades that move from the rear to the front. They wipe the bottom of the print-head when it is parked. (The ink pads actually drop down about 3/4" to allow the wiper blade to pass and then it is supposed to spring back to the rear. Also the ink suction for cleaning the print-head is done by the purge unit.)

Use some rubber gloves and a paper towel and see if you can press the ink pads down just a little bit - about 1/4". See if for some reason the wiper blade is stuck extended, if so see if you can get it unstuck. Please do this gently such that you don't break anything there. This error indicates that the purge unit is not giving the correct timing signal as it rotates inside 360 degrees. Therefore, something is either broken or jammed inside. If you had a paper jam and tried to forcefully pull it out, you could have pulled the internal gears out of alignment. So you will need to do some maneuvers to try to release the cartridge from its parking position. Again, don't try hard. Now, if this does not work than it would be cheaper to buy a new printer rather than sending it to Canon for repair if its not in warranty.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I turn it on, the ink tanks just stay in the right side corner. They don't move when I open up the printer
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

There will be a plastic tab with a spring which hold the print head locked in the parking position on the extreme right side you can use a flat head screw driver to lift the tab a bit and slide it to the center manually using your hand.

One more important thing, most of the time it happens that the waste ink tank which is at the bottom of the print head has an in ink absorbing pad which might have come up and its stuck with the edges of the print head and is preventing it to move in that case you can try the screw driver to push the pad downwards and try moving the head.