Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

My printer is a Brother DCP-J315W and apparent reason it

Customer Question

Hi Guys, my printer is a Brother DCP-J315W and for no apparent reason it won't pick up the paper from the tray as it should. I don't operate a business,it's just used for normal home copying etc. Kind regards,Ron.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Do you hear the machine moving as though it is trying to pick up the paper?
Any specific error message/code?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Nathan, yes the Printer makes all the normal noises but does pick up a sheet of paper and the the small screen then tells me to "Load Paper" and press start.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the information.

This is a “diffuse” message which simply denotes an internal fault. That can be caused by anything from debris/obstruction (paper jam, bent/damaged rails, out of place purge assembly/wiper, or dirty/dislocated encoder strip) to an actual hardware defect (bad sensor or control board, faulty carriage drive motor/gear/belt, bad printhead/carriage pcb).

What we can try here are some cleaning and reset steps.
First, open up the printer, and check for any internal debris such as scraps of paper, paperclip or staple, etc. Check if you’re able to move the carriage manually, or if it moves on its own when lifting the lid. If it does move, you can proceed with cleaning by blowing out the Inside compartment with compressed air and checking carefully on both sides for any obstructions. Next remove all of the ink cartridges, then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, then reseat the cartridges. Then wipe down the encoder strip, which is a clear plastic strip running the width of the printer, that sits just slightly above and behind the carriage. You'll also need to wipe down any visible rollers/wheels with alcohol.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I’ll advise further if needed.