Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

Canon Pixma Pro9000 II - I have two printers. BOTH of them

Customer Question

Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II - I have two printers. BOTH of them flash yellow four times and will not print. Have unplugged, reloaded software, held the green button while pushing the yellow one etc., etc., etc. WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY MACHINES?? Yes, I have changed out the ink as well.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

The 4 amber blink on this model indicates an out of ink situation. Do you have the red light on for each cartridge?
Are you using genuine canon cartridges, or generic/refilled ones?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Genuine, brand-new cartridges. Does not work with refilled cartridges either.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Neither printer is out of ink in ANY of the cartridges. Yes, it is Canon brand ink.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

There are a few possible causes of this issue, including a bad cartridge (not likely for all of them, on 2 machines), internal debris/contamination, or a hardware failure (bad printhead, bad logic board, faulty sensor, etc).

What we can try are some cleaning and reset steps.

First remove all of the ink cartridges, then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, then reseat the cartridges.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further if needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing changed.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for trying. Unfortunately, that leaves ONLY the possibility of an underlying hardware defect. As a 2009 model, that isn't surprising to see just from normal wear and tear, as the heads do wear out with age/use, and the printer itself is designed for a 3 year service life.

The next step would be printhead replacement: http://amzn.to/1F2Dpe3

This is not a guaranteed fix however. If the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250 more.

Given the costs involved, and the fact that other parts of the printer (such as the purge/absorber system, rollers/wheels, etc) are at the end of their life cycle as well, replacement may make more sense at this point. You can get a brand new and updated model with a fresh warranty for about the same amount you'd spend repairing this unit: http://amzn.to/1LyhQ1B

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,