Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of IT and customer support experience
15852642

I am getting a U052 The type of print head is incorrect

Customer Question

I am getting a U052 The type of print head is incorrect error> I have had my cannon MX890 printer for 2 1/2 yrs & all the sudden received this error
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** do not rate until we are finished. I look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure. Is it the same number every time? Are you using genuine Canon non-refilled ink cartridges?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am using genuine non refilled ink cartridges
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

Is it the same number every time?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
U052
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

Let's try doing a manual cleaning of the machine and see if that helps at all.
If you have any trouble or get stuck at any point please let me know so I can help you.

Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself.
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging replace them.

Now once you have done all of that turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 seconds
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.

If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already agreed to pay $26.00 for help > to talk to you would be an additional $20.00? I do not have much time left this morning I have to go to work .
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

That is most likely an ad you can ignore it, I do not do phone calls anyway but the site does not give me a way to turn off the ads. You can also get back to me any time by going to justanswer.com and clicking on my questions at the top so you can leave for work and come back later if you need to.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK thank you. If you have any suggestions on how to reset my cannon printer > or how to remove this error code ? just leave me a message & I will work on it when I get home. This is a home printer that I do not use very much. It is in perfect condition with no broken or damaged parts. I keep it covered up when not in use (so no dust).Thanks in advance for your help.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

As I mentioned before you may need a part, there is no reset for something like this. The part you may need is the print head which is consumable just like ink. No matter how little it is used or how good of a condition the rest of the machine is you still may need one. What happened when you tried the cleaning I just sent you? The cleaning is actually for ink inside the machine not dust.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sir you asked >What happened when you tried the cleaning I just sent you? you did not send me any cleaning instructions?
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

It is above you telling me you need to go to work if you scroll up, just in case you still do not see it, here the steps are again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i tried what you said & it did not work. still getting the error message U052
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

Ok next we will want to remove the print head and do a manual deep cleaning.
This video explains how to do that: Click Here You can dry it with a lint free cloth instead of waiting, do not use paper towels as lint can clog the nozzles.

If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.