Viet - Printer Tech
Viet - Printer Tech, Printer Technician
Experience:  Troubleshoot printers, scanners, etc.
30037186

After a successful test print yesterday, my Canon Pixma

Customer Question

After a successful test print yesterday, my Canon Pixma wireless printer won't print anything from my Windows 8-equipped laptop.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Viet - Printer Tech replied 1 year ago.

What's the model of your Canon Pixma wireless printer?

Was this printer working on this windows 8 laptop previously?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's MX492. It worked fine yesterday after I hooked it up. Now my computer says there's an error or else it just says it can't print Word.

Did you use the printer CD disk or download?

What's the status of the Wi-Fi/wireless button / light on the printer?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Disk. The light is not on. The only light on is the power light.

Did you see the wi-fi/wireless light coming on yesterday when you did the setup / test print? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't recall.

What's the brand/model of your internet/wireless modem/router device? Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It says "printer not responding"

OK. What's the brand/model of your internet/wireless modem/router device? Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is Actiontec GT724WG
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
COMPUTER IS SET UP TO COMMUNICATE DIRECTLY WITH THE PRINTER, NOT A ROUTER

Thank you. Can you go to Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features and uninstall the Canon driver program there

, then do not use the printer's CD disk

, but go to the Canon website below:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/printers_multifunction/office_all_in_one_inkjet_printers/pixma_mx492#DriversAndSoftware

, then download / install the Drivers - MX490 series Full Driver & Software Package... there, and check.

Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WHICH BUTTON IS CONTROL PANEL?

Control Panel is on the computer. Thank you.

Type control panel at the Start screen mode, or right-click on the Start (windows logo button) at the Desktop screen mode. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I HAVE TO GO.. I'LL TRY THIS IN THE MORNING AND LET YOU KNOW. THANK YOU.

You're welcome. No problem; please take your time. Good night. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you there?

Yes, I'm here. Have you tried my last suggestion? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
now I'm just trying to get it to connect directly to the printer. there's a list of instructions that includes telling me to right-click the Wireless Network Connection icon, but I don't know where that is.

Do you mean getting your wireless password/key?

What is the brand/model of your Internet/wireless modem/router device?

- Please right-click on the wireless icon at the bottom right of the screen (at the Desktop screen mode), then click on Open Network and Sharing Center.
(Or go to Control Panel, Network and Internet, Network and Sharing Center.)
Then click on your wireless network name on the right of Connections item.
Then click on Wireless Properties.
Then click on the Security tab.
Then select the box at Show characters.
Then you will see the Network security key above it, that is your wireless password (it is case-sensitive.)

Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yep I know that password, what do I do with it?

Did you download / install the Drivers - MX490 series Full Driver & Software Package... ? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please tell me how to get it to establish a wireless connection directly with my printer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already have the printer's password ***** just don't know what to do next because there is no Wireless Network Connection icon in my lower right screen like it shows on the instructions on the Canon page
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll catch up with you tomorrow. I need to go to bed. Thank you.

You're welcome. When you install the MX490 series Full Driver & Software Package..., make sure to select the Wireless option when prompted, then it will tell you the instructions.

Good night. Please get back to me tomorrow. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I SELECTED THE WIRELESS OPTION AND IT WON'T LET ME CONNECT DIRECTLY WITH MY COMPUTER, IT WANTS ME TO USE A ROUTER AND I DON'T WANT TO USE A ROUTER.
IT TELLS ME TO CLICK ON "WIRELESS CONNECTION" ICON ON MY TASK BAR, BUT I DON'T SEE SUCH AN ICON.
PLEASE JUST LIST FOR ME WHAT I DO TO HOOK UP MY COMPUTER WIRELESSLY TO MY PRINTER. THANK YOU.

I'm sorry. Do you mean you were able to print via wireless with this printer MX492 without using a router previously?

I'm checking if it's possible to print via wireless without a router for this printer model MX492.

By the way, you do have a wireless router, which is Actiontec GT724WG.

Thank you.

Do you have a laptop or desktop?

Is your computer connected to the Internet modem/router with an Ethernet/network cable? Or is the connection wireless?

Only if your computer is wireless, then at the bottom right of your Taskbar, you should see the wireless / network icon (if needed, click on the tiny triangle icon at the bottom right of the taskbar first.) Or go to Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center, then click on the option Connect to a network there.

Thank you.

I checked everything at the Canon website for this model, and it seems Canon does not provide the instructions for direct connection for this model:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/printers_multifunction/office_all_in_one_inkjet_printers/pixma_mx492?CMD=MIXED_SEARCH&mName=PIXMA+MX492&mType=PIXMA+MX&pageKeyCode=ekbresults&searchString=wireless&BASIC_SEARCH_CURRENT_TOPIC_ID=4435&BASIC_SEARCH_CURRENT_TOPIC_TYPE=0&RESULTS=RELEVANCE&RELEVANCE_START=1&RELEVANCE_COUNT=25&CONFIGURATION=1011&PARTITION_ID=1&TIMEZONE_OFFSET=null&USERTYPE=1&isSecure=false

But I can continue to help troubleshooting this issue. During installation of the printer driver/software, when you click on the option"Direct Connection - Directly connect the computer and printer" option, it directs you to a Canon website. Can you provide me that website link?

- One of the steps is to click on the Wireless Network Connection icon: If your computer has wireless feature (i.e., if it's a laptop or if the desktop has built-in wireless or has a USB wireless adapter), then at the bottom right of your Taskbar, you should see the wireless / network icon (if needed, click on the tiny triangle icon at the bottom right of the Taskbar first.) Or go to Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center, then click on the option Connect to a network there, and continue.

Please let me know, so I can troubleshoot further. Thank you.