Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

My hero 5.1 sounds like it is printing. the printer sends ou

Customer Question

My hero 5.1 sounds like it is printing. the printer sends ou aa blank paper.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head.

You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function, if it doesn’t work try it a second time. If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2011 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.

There is one further step you can take here, to clean and reset the system, but it is very unlikely to help. 99.9% of the time, this does come down to a hardware fault. These Kodaks are widely regarded as some of the worst printers ever made, they were very poorly designed and built and have very high failure rates. They were so bad that Kodak nearly went bankrupt supporting all the warranty claims, and stopped making inkjets entirely shortly after this model.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $60, A logic board would run you $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Note: you must reply back to me here, on the original question.

You now have 3 questions open on this topic - posting duplicates/new questions costs you more each time, and delays my ability to reply.

Please respond to me here if you need more information.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

I am not able to assist or reply to you unless you correspond with me here on this question.\

Again, please stop posting new questions and communicate here only.

This is not a special service menu, just the front panel tools/setup button (gear/wrench/screwdriver icon)