Sudipto, Engineer
Experience:  DIploma in Computer Hardware
15197395

I have a HP 3745 printer. I was printing and it ran out of

Customer Question

I have a HP 3745 printer. I was printing and it ran out of paper. I refilled the paper and since then it will not recognize that the paper is present. Can you help me. I have unplugged it, I have adjusted the paper, I have cleaned out the print que I am out of ideas
Category: Printers
Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 year ago.

Which version of Windows do you use and do you use an USB cable to connect the printer ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am using Open Office at this time and am using the USB cable to connect the printer

Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 year ago.

Ok, but which version of Windows do you use, like XP, Vista etc. ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Win 8

Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** the steps below to open the Devices and Printers window and reply me back.

1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.
    (If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, and then click Search.)

2. Enter Devices and Printers in the search box, and tap or click Devices and Printers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

okay

Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 year ago.

Did you open the window ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, the window is open

Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 year ago.

OK, now right click on the HP printer icon and select "See What's Printing" and let me know, if you see any stuck print jobs on that list or not ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have cleared the que many times. No, there is nothing currently waiting to print

Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 year ago.

OK, now close the print job window then, right click on the printer icon and select Remove Device to delete the printer icon, after that disconnect the printer cable from the PC and wait for few secs. reconnect the cable and wait for the icon to reappear automatically on the Device and Printers window. Try to print something and let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It still is saying it is out of paper.

Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 year ago.

Do you see any blinking light on the printer ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The light is on and steady

Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 year ago.

Please open the link below and follow the steps in solution four to clean the pickup rollers and let me know the result.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01963794&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=dk&dlc=da&lc=en&product=372335

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK

Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know the result.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Nothing has changed. Is there another way to get the printer and computer to talk. Maybe my computer is not getting the message that the paper has been replaced. Is there a way that the printer has given a message to the computer and it needs to be cleared in the computer commands??? Somewhere.

Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 year ago.

You have already done that, by deleting the printer reinstalling the printer. There is a lone roller that is tucked under the main mechanism and is difficult to get to, if you are able to clean it then, I think the problem will get solve.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will try that and get back to you. I just want to let you know that there is no activity in the printer when I go to print.

Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 year ago.

OK, during that please check for a trip switch in the paper path.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I got it to work by unplugging everything, rebooting the computer, and placing the paper just so in the printer. Whew!

Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 year ago.

That's great!!, as you said that you have already tried to unplug the printer, I have skipped that step, othewise that was the first solution, which I have posted. Anyway, your problem is solved now, which is our target. Please let me know, if you need any further help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Yes I had unplugged it before a few times but this time I unplugged everything, and rebooted my computer also when I put the paper in this time I didn't push it in quite so far. Maybe this will help you if you ever have to troubleshoot this kind of printer again. Thanks

Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the update.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sure

Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 year ago.

Thanks