Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I bought WF3640 last spring. used up 1 cartridge of black

Customer Question

I bought WF3640 last spring. used up 1 cartridge of black ink and then put in a new one which is an Epson 252 cartridge. I verified that it was right kind. I have used it about a month with the printer occasionally telling me that I needed to refill the ink when I knew I didn't. it was working and I even printed out documents yesterday and today. this afternoon printer states that it does not recognize black print cartridge. I have tried shutting it off and restarting, Ive taken out cartridge and put back in too. It says the cartridge was put in correctly then it tells me it does not recognize it. What should I do??
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

There are a few possible causes of this issue, including a bad cartridge, internal debris/contamination, or a hardware failure (bad printhead, bad logic board, faulty sensor, etc).

What we can try are some cleaning and reset steps.

First remove all of the ink cartridges, then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, then reseat the cartridges.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further if needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did all that you recommended. It just says that it cannot recognize the black ink cartridge
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for confirming.

Is this a genuine epson cartridge? Or a generic/refilled one?