Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

I am unable to print in color from a AMC to a Ricoh Aficia

Customer Question

I am unable to print in color from a AMC to a Ricoh Aficia MP C4000 is there anything that you know about this that you can assist with
Category: Printers
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am using a Mac running 10.10.5. The printer is networked and when i print it produces pages of with only one or two lines of garbled text
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My telephone number is *****
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I am unable to offer a phone call at this time, regrettably.

If color printing of *anything* is coming out as text or garbled text, you probably have either the wrong driver installed (possibly a PostScript driver?) or are printing PostScript to a normal driver... or else, you just plain have a wrong driver for the MAC OS X 10.10 version.

Would you like to try a procedure that likely would straighten out the problem? and, do you think that my surmise about either printing in PostScript mode, or having installed a PostScript driver, might be corect?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like to try a procedure to resolve this issue. When I add the printer by typing in the IP address it only gives me two choices to choose from:Internet Printing Protocol
Line Printer DaemonWhich of these should I select or is there something completely different I should be doing?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

If 'Line Printer Daemon' is one choice, you are obviously using a Linux or UNIX computer - is that the case? if so, please confirm, and let me know what version of Linux or UNIX is involved.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its a Mac running os 10.10.5 Im not sure what Linex or Unix is.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

OK, I forgot that MAC OS X uses Line Printer Daemon also (being historically based upon Linux as its code ancestor to some extent.)

I see that you mentioned MAC OS X 10.10.5 earlier in this case - pardon me for overlooking that. (I have several similar cases currently, and got a little confused as to which one needed that query.)

We can do a procedure to help I think, but I need to know one more thing: is your Ricoh Aficio printer networked, by a cable to a router for instance? or is it locally connected directly to your computer with a USB cable (or perhaps with a network cable direct to your computer, which is not absolutely impossible, just unlikely) ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Networked to a router when I set it up it it prints but not in color as it won't setup when I select the driver and I have to use the Generic PCL driver.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Not printing in color is - frankly - somewhat puzzling. Doubtless it's a matter of the driver - or perhaps a corruption of the driver.

But it could be perhaps that when selecting Color printing you are also selecting something alien to the driver, like (just for instance) Postscript printing (which would not work at all with a Generic PCL driver.)

It may be that Generic PCL driver is the problem - it matches your printer's model and its codes just close enough to print black-and-white or black-ink-text, but not enough to get the right color description codes to the printer in a language it understands.

We need to get a good, specific not Generic, driver for your printer, installed on your computer. If there is one.

Searching for one... I find a 'PPD Installer' that purports to be for your printer and for MAC OS X Yosemite 10.10:

http://support.ricoh.com/bb/pub_e/dr_ut_e/0001260/0001260308/V2200/Ricoh_PS_Printers_Vol2_EXP_LIO_2.2.0.0.dmg

Let me know if that sounds familiar and if you have already used it. If not, I will give you the complete procedure to displace the Generic PCL driver and install this one instead.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please provide procedure to set this up. I have downloaded the driver.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Good! Here's the procedure to follow:

1. unplug your printer (or, if it is networked, just turn it Off.)

2. Go to the Printers list, select the Ricoh Aficio C4000 (or, the Generic PCL driver that you have been using - or both, if both are present in the list) and Delete it.

3. Restart your computer.

4. Then use the PPD Installer and see what it does when executed.

That's pretty much it, but let me know if there's a difficulty anywhere. And if it succeeds nicely - I hope so - let me know by rating my Answer favorably, please. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that did not work nothing prints.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Is anything in the printer's queue, still?

Did you start by trying to print from a fairly simple or the simplest application possible? a basic text editor (not MS Word nor Open Office) is the best application to send an initial test printout from.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im trying to print a basic word document with a few words on it. It just says spooling.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Can you change the settings so that 'spooling' is disabled, in the printer's driver settings?

Or, select 'Print directly to printer' instead. That essentially disables spooling.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its a Mac its features are limited. So there are no options for what you are mentioning.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Use Disk Utilities, do a Repair Disk Permissions, then try again.

Try

Print & Fax-->Print tab-->Options & Supplies--Driver

and change the amount of RAM used by the printer upward if you can.