Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

What would make my C 541 business hub print blue over

Customer Question

What would make my C 541 business hub print blue over everything?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Most likely, if the blue tint is a light blue, or cyan, the problem would be in the cyan portion of the print engine.

The most likely source of this problem would be a leaking cyan toner cartridge. But there could be other causes, including (doubtfully) a problem with the driver software on the computer - unless the blue tint shows up in photocopies too, which do not involve the driver software.

So I advise you first of all, to do a test photocopy or two, in order to tell for sure whether the problem could be on the computer, or is actually physically in the printer.

Let me know the result.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I put a new toner in and yes still all cyan. Even when doing a copy.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

There's a problem in the printer/copier, not on the computer, I think.

So:

- the toner cartridge is not at fault - you have swapped that (and done several to 5 or 6 printed pages since then, to use up any excess toner that might be persistent?)

- the high voltage may be defective / not abundant enough. (If there is toner spilled inside the printer's print engine, it might possibly be that toner on electrical contacts from the high voltage supply lines, are lowering the effective actual voltage delivered to the print engine. Examine briefly and let me know - routine but careful and procedural cleaning could help. I will give you instructions on how to do so if it seems to be needed.)

- try setting the intensity (or 'density') of the laser beam to something less. (Strictly this might not be relevant, if the color is only cyan and none of the other colors. But it can be tried.) The adjustment dial is usually on the sealed laser unit itself, and has at least 6 numbers on the dial.)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is exsess toner left behind where you change the toner but not anymore or less than the other toners. I see nothing left behind on the imaging units. Where else should I look?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

It might be different for the cyan color, if the metal contacts in that area had a dusting of toner on them, or were otherwise obscured. Clean metallic contacts (but, never clean metallic-looking cylinders! don't even touch them) with the power off of course, by wiping with a clean dry rag cloth.