Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

HP Officejet 6500A: Suddenly we cannot get our printer to

Customer Question

HP Officejet 6500A: Suddenly we cannot get our printer to work. I printed a bank
statement a few days ago, and there was no problem except the red print was very light.
Today I tried to print a document with only black print and got a blank page. I purchased a new black cartridge and installed it. Still only get a blank page. At one point, it indicated we were not connected to network. However, nothing had ever been disconnected. Later we did disconnect it from the laptop and waited about 30 seconds and reconnected. Still no print on the page. Then we disconnected the power supply, waited 30 seconds and reconnected, with the same outcome. We even tried to copy a page, still only a blank page. What can we do to get this to print.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head.

You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function, if it doesn’t work try it a second time. If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2010 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** probably get a new printer. Sharon
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We already tried the first suggestion, and no to avail. Thanks again. Sharon
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome, Sharon.

If looking for a replacement, I’d recommend any of the Epson workforce series printers. They tend to be very reliable, are easy to set up and use, have good print quality, and reasonably priced ink. Example: http://amzn.to/1F4fCYC

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1Md4aNC

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,