Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

What is the WPS button and what is the access point re Canon

Customer Question

What is the WPS button and what is the access point re Canon printer?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

The WPS button refers to 'WPS Setup' or 'wireless express setup'. You press the button and, theoretically at least, if not always in practice, the wireless configuration just does itself.

The 'access point' means the local WiFi router, the local wireless box, the local network box that wireless-using devices can access internet through, that sort of thing.

If you have no local router (or WiFi capable router/modem, sometimes) box, there is no local access point. But many wireless-capable printers can be configured to work wirelessly from a computer that is WiFi capable, without an access point... directly printing from computer to WiFi-capable printer.

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Additionally: The WPS button is a button (usually a 'contact pressure' button rather than a mechanical button) on the router, that you press to configure your router for access.

It can also be a button on your printer, which when pressed at the right time configures your printer for printing access.

Which of these do you need to find? if the one on your printer, and if your printer is a Canon MX532, there is no WPS button on it - rather you need to look for one on the WiFi router box.

If your model of WiFi router box has no WPS button easily discernible upon it, then it has none, for sure, regardless of its model (they are usually very visible, for good reason.) In which case, your printer will have to be set up for wireless in a rather slightly more laborious fashion.

Let me know if I can help you with that. Thanks.