Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of IT and customer support experience
15852642

I am getting an error message on my Canon MX860. It is error

Customer Question

I am getting an error message on my Canon MX860. It is error message 8200.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** do not rate until we are finished. I look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure. Do you mean B200 and not 8200?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
8200
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is coming up is 8200
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

.
Let's try doing a manual cleaning of the machine and see if that helps at all.
If you have any trouble or get stuck at any point please let me know so I can help you.

Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself.
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging replace them.

Now once you have done all of that turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 seconds
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.

If it is next we will want to remove the print head and do a manual deep cleaning.
This video explains how to do that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZheZf-vdho8

You can dry it with a lint free cloth instead of waiting, do not use paper towels as lint can clog the nozzles.

Hopefully at the very least the error will have changed. This error can be caused by either the print head or logic board. What we just did would rule out the print head.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

That would mean the logic board is the problem if it is under a year old or you have an extended warranty this is normally covered. If not, Unfortunately since we would have ruled out the print head it means the logic board has failed and needs to be replaced. This part can be expensive so I would call around for a price. Normally it costs between $75 and $100 for the part alone.

Due to the price some people do decide to replace the machine when this happens if it is not under warranty. If you have any questions or need any help following these steps click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don't forget to leave a positive rating for my help it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not your Canon or this site.