Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

My lexmark is acting up. it jams the paper on its own. i

Customer Question

hey my lexmark is acting up. it jams the paper on its own. i cant print more than one page at a time
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

This type of problem is common with these machines as they age and internal parts start to fail.

That can be caused by anything from actual debris/obstruction (paper jam, bent/damaged rails, out of place purge assembly/wiper, or dirty/dislocated encoder strip) to an actual hardware defect (bad sensor or control board, faulty carriage drive motor/gear/belt, bad printhead/carriage pcb).

What we can try here are some cleaning and reset steps.
First, open up the printer, and check for any internal debris such as scraps of paper, paperclip or staple, etc. Check if you’re able to move the carriage manually, or if it moves on its own when lifting the lid. If it does move, you can proceed with cleaning by blowing out the Inside compartment with compressed air and checking carefully on both sides for any obstructions. Next remove all of the ink cartridges, then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, then reseat the cartridges. Then wipe down the encoder strip, which is a clear plastic strip running the width of the printer, that sits just slightly above and behind the carriage.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I’ll advise further if needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Nathan,I have tried your suggestions but nothing has worked. I cleaned and reset the printer, then turned the printer back on. The printer prompted me to run an alignment test which was completed. What should I try next?
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Did it get through the alignment ok? What about any subsequent print jobs?
Can you try making a copy (multipage) direct from the glass and tell me how that comes out?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The alignment went through okay. the printer still won't print more than one copy or more than one page from a print job.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for confirming.

This unfortunately would confirm a hardware failure, which is either a bad logic board or bad sensor or a fault in the paper feed drive system.

As this is a 2008 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.

These lexmarks are widely regarded as the worst printers ever made, they were very poorly designed and built and have very high failure rates. They were so bad that lexmark nearly went bankrupt supporting all the warranty claims, and stopped making inkjets entirely shortly after this model.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. Repairs would run you $200-250.

For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, from a more reputable brand, which makes more sense than buying new parts for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can try to help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Did you need more information, or help finding replacement options?

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in a good faith effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. I am only paid for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a positive rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately.