Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I have the hazard light on that's the little light at the

Customer Question

I have the hazard light on that's the little light at the right side at bottom mx882 possibly had a 5200 code. I cleaned the two little ink pads and the long foam strip
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Unfortunately this 5200 (or B200, if you misread, same thing either way) error indicates a hardware problem,

specifically, it is the result of a bad printhead (or the logic board that controls it).

The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2011 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.

There is one step you can take here, to clean and reset the system, but it is very unlikely to help. 99.9% of the time, this does come down to a hardware fault.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought since it is over three years ,I went and bought a new one for 99.99 dollars After warrentees and ink I paid about 200. hundred dollars. I just wanted some good advice as I thought I could use this At another house as a spare. . When this first acted up the window said I need to clean the absorber. after that all went crasy .Thank Al
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

The absorber may have started it, but the 5200 is specific to a head failure, so you'd be replacing the head as a next step.

Would you like that part number?

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in a good faith effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. I am only paid for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a positive rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately.