Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I have a canon mg6120. After i changed a couple of

Customer Question

i have a canon mg6120. After i changed a couple of cartridges it stoped working anf I get the error message 6C10. I've restarted, removed the plug several times. but error message reappears. I notice the carriage of the printer is not moving smoothly as it goes back and forth. It appears to be catching on something rather than sliding smoothly.
Any suggestions? Bert Lewen***@******.***
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, there is no quick or easy fix here.

This message indicates a hardware problem, specifically that that the internal "ink absorber system" is faulty. The C610 error pertains to a faulty/jammed purge assembly (usually a bad cam motor or wiper)

The ink absorber is a series of pads/tanks, which catch drips from the printhead when parked, and is also used for maintenance tasks like cleaning and purging.

Eventually this absorber fills up, and the printer shuts down operations, as continuing to operate it can result in ink overflowing the system, damaging your desk, flooring, etc

The cam switch and motor work together to allow the head to purge/drain into the absorber system. When that fails, it can no longer complete its necessary functions and the printer shuts down as continued use would result in further damage to printer and surroundings. While it is possible to repair, there are no longer parts available for these units, and labor is expensive so service is generally not practical - it's going to run you $150-250 for repairs, which just isn't worth it for an older printer. This is a 5 year old model, that was built for a service life of 3 years. If you have reached the point that the absorber system has failed, then other wear items like the printhead, feed rollers, etc are also going to be at the end of their lives and need service/replacement soon.

Given the costs and complexity of fixing this issue, you'd be better off replacing the printer. You can get a brand new and better machine, with current technology and a fresh warranty, for about $80, which makes more sense than investing in the older machine.

I can recommend replacement options for you if you'd like, or if you'd prefer to try having it serviced or working on it yourself, I can advise further on those options. Replacement would be your best bet though, economically speaking.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Did you need more help with this, Bert?

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”, even if the news was not. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1Md4aNC

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,