Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

I have a photosmart 650 printer.I asked this question before

Customer Question

I have a photosmart 650 printer.I asked this question before and got no answer..I tried to prin t today and it wouldn't respond.LATER I found out it was offline. I've had this problem before and I don't know how it gets offline and I don't know how to
turn it back on. please help
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

What is your computer, a Windows PC or an Apple computer?

Which version of Windows (or MAC OS X ) is on it?

(If a Windows PC, what is its System Type? either 32-bit or 64-bit, and found in
Start - Control Panel - System and Security - System .)

And, is your computer hooked up to the printer directly with a USB cable? or is the printer networked, either wirelessly or by Ethernet cable/wire?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have windows Xp and my printer is connected by USB cable
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

There are two possible causes for the problem as far as I now know.

1: you are printing from Windows XP. It passed beyond being supported or patched by Microsoft as of April 2014. It is, after a year, no longer patched for security nor reliable.

2: you may have a problem with the printer's driver. There is a procedure to replace the driver - but first I will have to know, what is the full and exact model # ***** your HP Photosmart printer? 'HP 650' is so ambiguous and/or incomplete that it could be an HP laptop. Please look on the manufacturer's label for the full and exact model # (which could be something like "B211a" for instance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a 6520 printer
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. Here's the procedure to try, for the drivers for the printer for Windows XP:

First, disconnect the printer, turn it off and unplug it from both power and computer. Leave it that way throughout the following, until you are instructed to connect it up again by the installation software routine (or, at least, by that routine having completely ended and finished and exited etc.)

So: turn off, unplug, unplug your printer.

Go to your computer, to the Start button, then to Control Panel - Devices and Printers, and remove all entries for your HP printer and its series, by clicking on each of its icons (or entries) and deleting.

Then go to Control Panel, Programs and Features, and use Uninstall (or Remove or Change/Remove) to get rid of all programs specific to your HP printer.

Then, reboot your computer: shut it down and start it up again.

Then, go to

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Photosmart-6520-e-All-in-One-Printer-series/5169038/model/5169040#Z7_3054ICK0KGTE30AQO5O3KA30R1

and click once on the red Download button and then download the proper driver for your printer.

Save it to disk, then double-click on the downloaded file, and do the driver installation.