Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

My iP4920 printer suddenly stopped working. I got a printer

Customer Question

My iP4920 printer suddenly stopped working. I got a printer error B200 message with instructions to power it down, disconnect the power, and contact a service center. Is this a hardware problem? Can it be fixed?
Wayne Phillips
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Wayne.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

The short answer is that no, it cannot be fixed; at least not in practical terms.

Unfortunately this B200 error indicates a hardware problem,

specifically, it is the result of a bad printhead (or the logic board that controls it).

The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2011 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.

There is one step you can take here, to clean and reset the system, but it is very unlikely to help. 99.9% of the time, this does come down to a hardware fault.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1Md4aNC

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got the answer I was looking for, but don't feel I should pay $21 to find out the printer can't be fixed.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Wayne.

Unfortunately, the pricing is based on the level of detail and urgency you indicate when posting your question here, and fixed at the price you agree to. Had you specified up front that you were unwilling to pay for such an answer, or would only accept a guaranteed fix, neither myself nor any other expert would have taken the time to respond.

I was simply seeking to answer your specific question of "Can it be fixed?", and giving you an explanation of why it cannot be done reasonably. There are options to be considered, which I offered, if you are interested, but again they are generally not practical. It is my obligation to provide an accurate and honest answer, even if it is not an optimistic one.

I'm sorry I don't have more optimistic news for you. Had you taken the printer into a repair shop, you'd be paying a $100+ diagnostic fee just to have them look at it, and get the exact same answer in the end. I hope you'll find some value in getting an expedient and accurate answer without having to leave home, even if it was not the news you were hoping for.

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in a good faith effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. I am only paid for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a positive rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately.

Best regards,

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hi Wayne, just following up. I wanted to clarify for you how the site works. You've already paid the agreed upon fee to the site. With no further action, they keep that fee in your justanswer account. If you wish to credit me for my work, that is done via the rating (stars) process.

Otherwise, if you were expecting a refund, that isn't an automatic process. You may request that from the help/account page, at your discretion, if you feel it fair and reasonable to do so.

Best regards,