Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

Dustin, I have an Epson WF 7620 with an error message 0x9A.

Customer Question

Hi Dustin, I have an Epson WF 7620 with an error message 0x9A. It just tells me to turn off and on again. This doesn't fix anything. No info on internet that helps. I think maybe print head is clogged?? Trying to remove or move print head but without it being powered up (won't work at all when switched on, just tells me to switch off) I have removed the cover of the print head, and removed the screw, but the print head cartridge holder is stuck under the right hand edge, and I can't open it because of the error... Can you give me any advice, or should I throw it to the trash?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

This message indicates a carriage fault. That can be caused by anything from debris/obstruction (paper jam, bent/damaged rails, out of place purge assembly/wiper, or dirty/dislocated encoder strip) to an actual hardware defect (bad sensor or control board, faulty carriage drive motor/gear/belt, bad printhead/carriage pcb).

What we can try here are some cleaning and reset steps.
First, open up the printer, and check for any internal debris such as scraps of paper, paperclip or staple, etc. Check if you’re able to move the carriage manually, or if it moves on its own when lifting the lid. If it does move, you can proceed with cleaning by blowing out the inside compartment with compressed air and checking carefully on both sides for any obstructions. Then wipe down the encoder strip, which is a clear plastic strip running the width of the printer, that sits just slightly above and behind the carriage.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Note: If it will not move at all, then it is most likely hung up on the purge/absorber wiper assembly. Try sliding a thin metal ruler or piece of heavy cardstock under the head before pulling it over.

Let me know the results, and I’ll advise further if needed.