Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of IT and customer support experience
15852642

How do i get new ink cartridge to be recogonized. i replaced

Customer Question

How do i get new ink cartridge to be recogonized. i replaced all the cartridges but it is now recogonizing the blue and yellow ones. it recognizes the black and magenta. i have a photosmart5520 printer.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** do not rate until we are finished. I look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure. Are they genuine non refilled HP cartridges? How did you clean it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they were brand new HP cartridges i wiped off the metal strip on the bottom
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

Did you clean the printer as well? If you put the old cartridges back in do they do the same thing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do i clean the printer?? i do not have the old cartridges any more
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

The new ones could be defective, the easiest way for us to have found out would have been to try the old ones.

Let's try doing a manual cleaning of the machine and see if that helps at all.
If you have any trouble or get stuck at any point please let me know so I can help you.

Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself.
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging replace them.

Now once you have done all of that turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 seconds
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.

If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok they are now recognized. i had to pu new ones in for the blue and yellow. i had another set of new ones here thank you. what should i do with the bad ones
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

I would try returning to where you bought them and explaining they are defective and what happened. They can usually exchange them otherwise you need to call 1(###) ###-####

If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your HP.