Electronics Pete
Electronics Pete, Engineer
Experience:  HNC Computing; Large format and multifunction printer expert
30970729

I have a canon imagerunner 3880i color laser printer/copier.

Customer Question

I have a canon imagerunner 3880i color laser printer/copier. When I print 11x17 pages, the image comes out looking like it has a wrinkle or crack across it. It isn't in the page, it's in the printed image iteself. Do I need to replace a fuser or something?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Electronics Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Wrinkles in the paper will happen if the paper does not feed in correctly.

Usually this is caused by a small scrap of paper stuck inside the machine.

Disassemble as much of it as you can and use tweezers or compressed air to help remove any stuck pieces of paper.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This isn't a wrinkle in the paper (I put that in the description). This is a crack or wrinkle in the printed IMAGE itself. The paper feeds fine and is perfectly smooth. I only see this issue when printing large format paper sizes. So for example....when I print a word doc on 11x17 paper, the document has a spot where the ink/image is missing in a crack shape. If I print a photo of that size, the same thing appears, always in the same place. As if whatever is adhering the toner to the paper is cracked or broken in a specific spot and it doesn't come out correctly in that spot. I am adding files so you can see what I mean.

Thanks for the files - I can see what you mean now.

This is not caused by a defective drum or fuser, since the printer prints ok on other size pages.

Does the 11x17 paper feed from a different tray?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I could test the manual feed option also to see if the problem is visible on that different tray....to isolate the tray for the 11x17....

Let me know how it goes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay from the manual feed it looks perfect too. So must be drawer? Do I replace whole drawer or do u know if there is a specific roller or something doing that? Could be rollers on the side too where the 11x17 paper is fed out of drawer and up the side of the machine. model c3380i

It is more likely to be caused by the rollers that are feeding the paper from its drawer.

Check those rollers for any obvious contamination and clean them first.

If that doesn't help, then they will need to be replaced.