Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

Our Brother MFC 9325 CW is leaving a black stripe down the

Customer Question

Our Brother MFC 9325 CW is leaving a black stripe down the right hand side of our documents when we print from our computer.
Any idea why? All cartridges were replaced recently.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Does the stripe happen when making a photocopy from the glass?

Is t

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Is the strip on the front or back of the page?

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Note: Reply to me here on the original question only. Posting new questions costs you more and delays my ability to reply.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is when printing a file from the computer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
on the front of the page
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

I understand it happens on computer prints.

I am asking you to please specifically test a photocopy, from the glass (in both black and color modes).

Thanks,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it happens with both black and color photocopies
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Okay thank you for confirming. That isolates it to being a printer (not a computer, network, or driver) issue.

Please remove the cartridges/drums and clean the drum, focusing on the black. There is a green plastic tab on there that you'll slide back and forth the width of it, 4-5 times. Replace all, and see if the problem continues.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

If you don't see that spot, or it doesn't help, load a piece of paper into the manual (bypass) front tray, then go into the setup (menu 4,8) and run the drum clean function there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I cleaned the drum (4 times). Now the streak has gotten bigger and blueish in color. What next?
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Which cleaning did you do? The manual or from menu?
Are you using genuine brother cartridges or is the toner refilled/generic?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
from the menu and I swiped the green switch manually. They are genuine Brother cartridges
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Okay that indicates an internal fault, which can be anything from a leaking toner to a bad drum (most likely ) or dirty transfer belt or fuser.

Open it up, remove all the cartridges, and blow out the inside compartment from all angles and access panels with compressed air, restore all, run the drum clean again, and try to print.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did all of that and no luck.
Does this mean we should replace the drums?
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Well if the strip is black, I'd replace just the black. It is typical for that to go out first though because it gets the most use

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

You can get a full set:

http://amzn.to/1JyYLPS

which may make more sense to just do them all at once though. It depends on your usage levels.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Nathan, We just solved the problem. Evidently, all of the green tabs must be docked to the left side of the drum.
Some of ours were docked left and some docked right which is what caused the problem.
Are we able to get a refund since your advice didn't help??
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the update, I'm glad it is back on track.

When doing the cleaning, I assumed you had restored them to the left home position properly.

Regarding the fee, I have no control over billing/account issues.

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in a good faith effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. I am only paid for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. If my guidance helped you to solve the problem or reach the resolution on your own through steps you would not have take otherwise, I do hope you’ll consider leaving a positive rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your questions.

If you wish for a refund instead, that is up to your discretion. In that case you'd omit rating entirely and may contact customer service via the help/account page to request a refund.

Best regards,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That was not an assumption you should have made, especially since that was the cause of the problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At least we both learned something
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

They ship from the factory docked to the left, so I had no reason to believe they would have been in any other position. Thank you for the update and the information though.

Have a good day,