Richard, Technician
Experience:  Printer and scanner problem resolver for over 15 years
32989067

My Epson XP410 printer will not recognize the Epson Original

Customer Question

My Epson XP410 printer will not recognize the Epson Original Replacement cartridge.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome

Did this happen just after replacing the cartridge?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay, I had trouble getting my payment info on my account updated. I think its ok.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

No problem

For this issue you have, Did this happen just after replacing the cartridge?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Thanks,

If you put the old cartridge back in, does it recognize it ok?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It say it needs replacement.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Sorry? I am not clear on your response.

I need to know please, If you put the old cartridge back in, does it recognize it still?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think it is recognized because it says it needs to be replaced. There is an option that says changed it now or remind me later. I tried remind me later but it won't allow me to do it later. It implies it needs to be replaced. I then put the new one in and it isn't recognized.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, if it says it needs to be replaced, it is working.

Then this points to a faulty cartridge (the new one) which is why it is not being recognised.

Just to be sure, you did take all the plastic off the new cartridge correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On the bottom there is a plastic seal that you poke a hole through and you are not suppose to remove it. I did remove the tape.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am going to replace another cartridge right now. I bought the Epson pack that contains all four. Give me a few seconds.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Ok, then the cartridge will be faulty.

We know the printer is ok because it recognizes the other cartridge, so it points to the new cartridge as being the problem.

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the cartridge to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I have marked this question to never close so If you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As expected it won't recognize the magenta either. So now I have two that are not recognized. Should I try the black...it is very very low.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

yes it recognises the old one correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you asking about the magenta or the cyan?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took out the cyan to replace. It wouldn't recognize it. I put the old one in and it was recognized. Keep in mind that the other three cartridges during this time were all recognized. I took out the magenta and replaced it with the new one and now it is not recognized...shall I try another???
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

yes, try another please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Won't recognize the black now either. I changing the yellow right now.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, were these all bought in one batch?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok now all are not recognized. All four can't be bad. I did some research prior to signing up with just ask...this seems to be a regular problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they were in a pack of four. Epson sells them like this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It seems that Epson tries to make it difficult by constantly changing the chip so that it is difficult for the generic ones to work. They also seem to make it difficult for their own to be recognized.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is the first time this printer has had the ink cartridges changed. The pins are not bent or misaligned. There isn't any messy ink laying on anything.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was hoping there was a code or something techs knew to get this thing up and running.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

It can be the case, but if the old cartridges work and these do not, as they are the same batch they will all suffer the problem, they need to be replaced. There is nothing to do to get them to work, apart fro placing then into the print head. I just hope you removed all the pacjaging from them, especially where the metal connection is. If so, then you have to replace the cartridges, its not the printer thatch at fault.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is only the yellow strip of plastic removable tape that covers the little window on the side of the cartridge and then the piece of plastic that covers the hole where the ink comes out you are suppose to poke a hole. The old ones are also like that. A hole punched threw and the little bit of excess remains on the cartridge. Now what happens if the next ones also do the same thing? Are they bad too?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unbelievable this is happening. My husband of which we have lived apart now for some time is an IT manager for a law firm. You'd think this wouldn't be happening to me.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

If the next ones also happen I would change where your purchasing them from, as they may not be original.

I can only advise based on the results and that is that the old ones do work, which demonstrates the printer is working fine, and confirms the printer.

I would take the printer with you to where you have purchased these, show them they are not accept and make sure before leaving, that the replacement ones they give you do actually work, and if not, get your money back and purchase these from a different store.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
These cartridges are indeed Epson OEM cartridges. That I am sure of. I can't believe Epson would be generics in their own boxes. I do quite a bit of business with Office Depot. They turn over their merchandise relatively quickly so I don't buy old cartridges etc.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, its no problem if you do not wish to believe me, I can only tell you the reality of the situation and the general causes for this. The printer works with cartridges, just not these ones.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Them being Epson or them meaning there all defective.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Meaning these ones are defective.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to have these reports printed by 7 am. I live in a rural area with one street light. There is a Walmart open 24 hours in Carson City NV. What color printer do you recommend?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Never Epson, that is for sure. Always go with HP, they have been making printers the longest and (I have been fixing these for 15 years) are the most reliable.

I don't know what your Walmart has for sale, but something like a HP Deskjet 2542 Wireless All-in-One Printer is a really good color printer, that's well priced (around $60) and is a lot less likely to give you headaches. But any HP all in one are good.

If you go get it, ill wait here to make sure the installation goes fine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll run to Walmart. Takes about 35 minutes each way. If I have trouble setting it up I'll email you back. HP it is! Thank you. I drove 50 minutes each way to Reno to get those cartridges. You bet I'll be calling Alek and Victor at Office Depot/Office Max in Reno. What pure waste of time and money.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Ok, ill sstill be on so waiting for your return.