Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

I have a Brother HL-L2305W printer that I've only had enough

Customer Question

I have a Brother HL-L2305W printer that I've only had long enough to use up the toner cartridge that came with the printer. I purchased a new Brother toner cartridge. TN-660, and installed it this morning. It printed about 50 pages and I ran out of paper. I replaced the paper, it continued "printing." When I came back to my office, I now notice that it didn't print anything on the paper at all after I refilled the paper tray. What in the world could have happened?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure. Please try printing this page and let me know what comes out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing comes out. If it was printing, I wouldn't be asking you a question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I bought this printer in July. I won't be purchasing "replacement parts."
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you find anything yet?
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
I am opting out since you think it is impossible you need parts. Regardless of how old the machine is, that is possible. If someone else wants to help they will reply like I did.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Seriously, if a "new part" is needed, I'll return the printer. What a ripoff.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've paid $26 for you to not troubleshoot anything? Better Business Bureau.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
now that I've read reviews for this site, I guess I made a huge mistake.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's Monday morning, I have a LOT to print, and I paid $26 to have answers, not to be referred to another person and be told I'll get a response "typically within 24 hours."
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Freddy M.," your reply was awesome, "If someone else wants to help, they will likely reply as I did." "IF?" "IF?"
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

pull the toner cartridge out

shake it up

put it back in

cancel any print jobs on the computer

restart both the printer and the computer

try to print it again

i know you dont want to hear this but sometimes toner cartridges break. especially if you are buying refilled or third party cartridges. There is a little plastic piece in side the cartridge that actually pushes the toner out of the cartridge. Its run by a little gear on the outside of the cartridge that hooks up to a gear on the printer when the cartridge is inserted. Sometimes the piece inside breaks and it wont push the toner out.

So if the above doesnt fix it please try another cartridge even if you just put this one in. it is still quite possible to be a cartridge failure and nothing else that we troubleshoot will fix it if the cartridge is bad.