Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

My J4510DW has shut down. Pressing the on/off key doesn't do

Customer Question

My J4510DW has shut down. Pressing the on/off key doesn't do anything. If I leave it unplugged for a while, sometimes when I then plug it in, it starts up. The white house light goes on, then "Brother fills the screen, then it says at the top of the screen "shutting down" and in the middle of the screen "all functions will be disabled", then the middle of the screen changes to "press on//off to resume" and the white house goes off and the wifi light goes on, and then it shuts down completely. I've tried pressing the on/off key when it says to, but it has no affect on the sequence. HELP!!!
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

(note: Please reply back to me on the original question only. Posting new/additional/duplicate questions charges you again and delays my ability to reply. Your patience is appreciated)

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or logic board. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc). The logic board is more likely in this case as it does try to boot and goes into the error/fault shutdown sequence.

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear, as a 2011 model, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising as this machine was designed and built for only a 3 year service life.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation

unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; at that point it is time for a new printer. While it can be fixed, it is not practical to do so. You'd be in the $150 range to have the internal power supply, and a logic board would run you $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model (for a standard all in one printer, in the $120-150 range if you need tabloid size), with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,